[SOLVED] Transfer Boot info of SSD partition from HDD toSSD

arpitjjw

Commendable
Jun 24, 2019
I had windows on my Hard drive (1 TB size ) with two partitions C and D . I installed new SSD and also installed windows on it without removing HDD while installing . Now I have dual boot Windows . By default I have set to boot windows on the SSD and it works fine . I opened the disk management and saw that there is no reserved parition for Disk 1 (SSD) while Disk 0 (HDD ) has 100 mb reserved partition . Also Disk 0 has some other partitions of about 100 gb for ubuntu which I am also able to boot to . The screenshot of my disk management screen can be found on this URL . I guess that this means that the boot info of the SSD is on Disk 0 and I will not be able to boot after I remove HDD ? If this is true how do I transfer the reserved partition to the SSD while also keeping the reserved partition of the HDD or may be not I will format the HDD ?
I dont want to reinstall windows by removing the HDD.

Solution
Anyway ... you can recreate bootloader partition on SSD this way
(this will allow to boot windows on SSD only).
(if you get any errors, then stop immediately, do not continue with those commands)
diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
(make sure 232GB disk is selected)​
list partition
select partition X
(make sure 232GB partition is selected, X is either 1 or 2)​
shrink desired=500
create partition efi
format fs=fat32
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot C:\windows /s H:
You don't. What you DO do, is remove the second hard drive, and all other drives EXCEPT for the drive you are installing windows ON and the drive you are using to INSTALL windows FROM (USB or optical disk), and then reinstall. All drives except those two should ALWAYS be disconnected from the system EVERY and ANY time you install Windows to avoid problems with the hidden and boot partitions.

Exact instructions can be found here and it would be wise to follow them.

arpitjjw

Commendable
Jun 24, 2019
You don't. What you DO do, is remove the second hard drive, and all other drives EXCEPT for the drive you are installing windows ON and the drive you are using to INSTALL windows FROM (USB or optical disk), and then reinstall. All drives except those two should ALWAYS be disconnected from the system EVERY and ANY time you install Windows to avoid problems with the hidden and boot partitions.

Exact instructions can be found here and it would be wise to follow them.

I said in the last line that I dont want to reinstall windows or remove the hdd , I was hoping for some other solution

arpitjjw

Commendable
Jun 24, 2019
I have recently installed windows on my SDD with windows preinstalled on HDD also . Disk 0 is hdd while disk 1 is hdd which has some partitions for ubuntu also and D drive . The current disk management looks like View: https://imgur.com/A8vsVjF
. There is no EFI partition on ssd and there is dual boot of windows now . If I keep the disk as it is now will it affect windows on the SSD anyhow or give any error in the future (I will not remove the HDD or format it ). Is there a way to create new EFI partition on the SSD like in the link https://www.disk-partition.com/windows-10/missing-efi-partition-windows-10.html

You're BOOTing from disk 0 and windows are on disk 1 and to fix that you need to boot from disk 1 which is going to be impossible without disk 0.
In theory it could be done by repartitioning disk1 with same size partitions as in disk 0 and copy partitions needed for booting using Mini disk partition wizard or a program that can copy partitions but than you'd be loosing everything on disk1 so you might as well reinstall windows from scratch while only disk 1 is connected and active.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
That's what happens where there are 2 physical drives installed when you do the OS install.
And especially if the other drive already has an OS..you get a dual boot situation.

If you remove that HDD, no boot for you.

Since this is a brand new install, just redo it.
Disconnect the HDD and do a new clean install on the SSD.

"Works" and "Fine" or "Right" are not necessarily the same thing. Yes, if it works and you can live with it, then it's "fine", but if that other drive ever dies, you are going to have to reinstall and it might not be at a very convenient time PLUS you will likely then have to do a LOT more work, with reinstalling applications and configuring settings all over again.

If you do it NOW, you should only have to do it one time. If you are not ok with any of the potential problems from the OS being dependent on the HDD, going forward, then you should do it now to avoid a major potential nightmare later.

It's up to you. I told you in the beginning what needed to be done and these others have verified that. I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal if you've already done it once recently since you haven't gone very far with this new OS installation anyhow.

(if you get any errors, then stop immediately, do not continue with those commands)
diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
list partition
select partition X
shrink desired=500
create partition efi
format fs=fat32
assign letter=H
exit

Solution

arpitjjw

Commendable
Jun 24, 2019
diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
list partition
select partition X
shrink desired=500
create partition efi
format fs=fat32
assign letter=H
exit
Should I do it in regular command Prompt ?

arpitjjw

Commendable
Jun 24, 2019
diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
list partition
select partition X
shrink desired=500
create partition efi
format fs=fat32
assign letter=H
exit
When I selected disk 1 and typed list partition it showed me 2 partitions :
partition 1 reserves 16 mb offset : 1024kb
and partition 2 primary 232 gb offser 17 mb
While in the disk management screen it does not show any partition of disk 1, you can see it yourself in the link I posted in the post
does that mean efi is already there

arpitjjw

Commendable
Jun 24, 2019
diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
list partition
select partition X
shrink desired=500
create partition efi
format fs=fat32
assign letter=H
exit
I think it worked , Now I have got a healthy efi partition of 500 mb on the ssd. Can I format the HDD now ?