[SOLVED] Transfering all files to external HDD for transfer

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
Hi,

(I allready posted something similar to this post, but this is about transfering files specifically)

At the moment, my Windows 10 Pro N version expired. I have no key for this version, and I only have a non-N Pro version key.
My plan is to completely wipe my drive to install a fresh new copy of Windows 10 Pro.

The only problem is that I want to keep all my files (Steam games, Office-programs, basically every program I use on a daily base), and I have no idea how to transfer all my files. I have a 1tb external HDD, and my pc's files-size is around 480GB.

Which folders do I have to Copy to the external HDD?

These are all the folders in "This PC > C: Drive":
ESD
Games
Users
Intel
PerfLogs
Program Files
Program Files (86x)
WINDOWS

(My assumption is to copy everything except ESD, PerfLogs and WINDOWS to my external HDD)

Solution
So certain applications you will have to leave behind. For example you can't copy over Chrome from one drive to another, there are various files all over your computer so it's best to just re-install the applications. As for games, saves, and userdata try these folders:

Games:
Look for a "Steam" folder in either the 'Program Files' or 'Programs Files x86' folder. In that steam folder there should be a 'Contents' or 'Library' Folder. Pretty much just look for the directory where you installed your steam games to. You can copy those folders into the external drive and drop them back into the new steam folder after you've reinstalled windows and steam. Pretend to install one of your other steam games to see where the directory is exactly...
So certain applications you will have to leave behind. For example you can't copy over Chrome from one drive to another, there are various files all over your computer so it's best to just re-install the applications. As for games, saves, and userdata try these folders:

Games:
Look for a "Steam" folder in either the 'Program Files' or 'Programs Files x86' folder. In that steam folder there should be a 'Contents' or 'Library' Folder. Pretty much just look for the directory where you installed your steam games to. You can copy those folders into the external drive and drop them back into the new steam folder after you've reinstalled windows and steam. Pretend to install one of your other steam games to see where the directory is exactly since it'll prompt you, "install steam games to....." and show you a directory, like this:
steaminstall-100721236-orig.jpg

Saves and userdata:
Typically steam saves your saved data to a cloud, if you've set that feature on (or perhaps it does it automatically now, you'll have to check steam settings). But usually these are saved in your 'Documents' folder. That should be in the 'users' folder and then click on your accounts folder and you'll see all the folders you probably use daily; Downloads, documents, pictures, etc.

Save this uder folder to your external drive too.

Solution

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018

Games:
Look for a "Steam" folder in either the 'Program Files' or 'Programs Files x86' folder. In that steam folder there should be a 'Contents' or 'Library' Folder. Pretty much just look for the directory where you installed your steam games to. You can copy those folders into the external drive and drop them back into the new steam folder after you've reinstalled windows and steam. Pretend to install one of your other steam games to see where the directory is exactly since it'll prompt you, "install steam games to....." and show you a directory, like this:

Saves and userdata:
Typically steam saves your saved data to a cloud, if you've set that feature on (or perhaps it does it automatically now, you'll have to check steam settings). But usually these are saved in your 'Documents' folder. That should be in the 'users' folder and then click on your accounts folder and you'll see all the folders you probably use daily; Downloads, documents, pictures, etc.

I found the "Steam" folder in program files x86. but theres no "Contents" or "Library" folder. Could just completely copying the "Steam" folder to my external HDD work too? I'm not too worried about game saves, since my games are mostly online multiplayer. The screenshot you've provided seems to be more outdated than my steam btw.

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018

Games:

Saves and userdata:

I think I found the folder, but in my case it's:
Program Files (x86) / Steam / steamapps / common