[SOLVED] Transferring windows to new drive on laptop?

dentfuse

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
Hey guys, so I have a laptop with only hdd in it and wanted to upgrade and get a ssd for windows. Now I'm first confused if I should use a software like macrium reflect to copy the windows partition to the new SSD or install windows again on new one and if I install windows on new one will I be able to get all drivers from manufacturer's website (it's a lenovo IdeaPad gaming 3 laptop)? The reason I want to copy windows is because I really want to make sure I have all drivers and settings that came with my laptop from manufacturer and not some random drivers windows installs for me. Also I have a folder named drivers in windows folder, is it made by windows or are those drivers in it from manufacturer? Also would having two drives with windows in it and drivers on both cause issues between the drivers?

Solution
Just games and documents from old pc
What I would do:

Save the documents off to some other drive or system
Clean install on the new drive (see below). As well as new drivers, your applications, etc, etc.
Reconnect the old drive, and wipe it clean All data, all partitions, leaving one blank space.
Reinstall your games on that now blank HDD, and copy the docs back from wherever you saved them.

Do this clean install with ONLY the new drive connected.

USAFRet

Titan
Either a clone or a clean install will work.
Clone usually works. Clean install always works.

How much space is consumed on the current HDD?
What size/make/model SSD are you considering?
How old is this system?

You can get all the required drivers from Lenovo.

At the end of whichever process, you do NOT want both drives to still have Windows on it.

dentfuse

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
Either a clone or a clean install will work.
Clone usually works. Clean install always works.

How much space is consumed on the current HDD?
What size/make/model SSD are you considering?
How old is this system?

You can get all the required drivers from Lenovo.

At the end of whichever process, you do NOT want both drives to still have Windows on it.

System is very new 9 days old.

C drive is using 118gb out of 361gb, D is 127gb out off 568gb.

SSD I'm going to get is Crucial P2 250GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - CT250P2SSD8 (https://www.amazon.in/Crucial-250GB-NAND-NVMe-PCIe/dp/B086BKGSC1)

USAFRet

Titan

dentfuse

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
Brand new system, I'd just do a clean install on the new drive.

C and D ?
Are these 2 partitions on the same physical HDD?
Please show us a screencap of the Disk Management window.

Yes both are on same HDD. Here's the screenshot,
vMi7Mut.jpg

USAFRet

Titan
Just games and documents from old pc
What I would do:

Clean install on the new drive (see below). As well as new drivers, your applications, etc, etc.
Reconnect the old drive, and wipe it clean All data, all partitions, leaving one blank space.
Reinstall your games on that now blank HDD, and copy the docs back from wherever you saved them.

Solution

dentfuse

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
What I would do:

Alright thanks. I'll see what I can do.

Last edited: