Question TRIED EVERYTHING TO FIX MY COMPUTER

calippoblue

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
Ok here's the story,
I was on my computer 2 weeks ago and left it on to sleep. 3 hours later the PC is still on but when I move my mouse or touch the keyboard nothing would happen. So I pushed the power button on the computer to restart it and WHAM it now takes 10 more seconds to boot up and ends up on 800x600.

I tried everything such as buying a new SSD, factory resetting it, formatting all drives, downloading clean GPU drivers but the drivers will disappear when I restart and it will remain on selective startup with 800x600 and with Microsoft basic display driver instead of NVIDIA.

Haven't used my PC in 2 weeks due to this annoying problem :(. If anyone can help me find a solution, it would be greatly appreciated :).

calippoblue

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
The best place to start is a list of your complete specs. Just on a general level since we're talking Mystery Computer, but given that you've eliminated software, there's a very good chance that your GPU is dying.
SPECS:
CPU: Intel i7 6700k
CPU cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce G1 980ti
Motherboard:ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING
PSU: EVGA G2 750 W
NEW SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500gb
OLD SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 256gb
HDD: WD 7200RPM 2TB
My GPU was working fine with normal frames prior to this incident.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
SPECS:
CPU: Intel i7 6700k
CPU cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce G1 980ti
Motherboard:ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING
PSU: EVGA G2 750 W
NEW SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500gb
OLD SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 256gb
HDD: WD 7200RPM 2TB
My GPU was working fine with normal frames prior to this incident.

I'd put my money on a dying GPU, given the lack of software fixes and no red flags standing out elsewhere in your specs. That it was working before it stopped working isn't really meaningful; anything that breaks is going to have a point at which it stops working for the first time.

Have you tried older drivers?

Next, I'd run the PC with the GPU completely removed, using the integrated graphics. With the correct drivers installed, will it stay at 1080p or whatever resolution you're using at? Obviously would be horrid for actually playing games, but the purpose is just to see if the resolution is stable with the integrated graphics.

Do you have an old GPU on-hand or the ability to borrow a GPU? Testing would be the best way to eliminate the GPU as an issue. And I'd check the date you bought that, if you happen to be near the end of the three-year warranty -- and given the release date, if the warranty's still active, it may not have long to go -- you'd want to get in touch with Gigabyte about an RMA sooner rather than later.

calippoblue

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
I built my PC around this time back in 2015 so I think I'm a bit too late. I tried connecting straight to the motherboard and it's no longer in 800x600 but it shows this message "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO" along with the blue screen of death.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I built my PC around this time back in 2015 so I think I'm a bit too late. I tried connecting straight to the motherboard and it's no longer in 800x600 but it shows this message "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO" along with the blue screen of death.

How exactly did you refresh the PC? Did you format the hard drive and then do a fresh install of Windows 10 from a USB or install media? Because a fresh install of Windows 10 shouldn't result in a message like this, which is typically a registry or Windows system error. Are you able get into Windows reliably in safe mode?

calippoblue

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
How exactly did you refresh the PC? Did you format the hard drive and then do a fresh install of Windows 10 from a USB or install media? Because a fresh install of Windows 10 shouldn't result in a message like this, which is typically a registry or Windows system error. Are you able get into Windows reliably in safe mode?
I formatted my hard drive via Windows with quick format unchecked(took around 2-3 hours). Then I used Samsung secure erase on a USB in the bios to erase my SSD. I thought getting a new SSD would help so I bought a new one for boot and use the old SSD for storage. Finally I used my other USB with a Windows 10 ISO file to reinstall windows. But it's still in 800x600 and very slow boot times even with the brand new SSD. I followed your previous steps to connect it to the motherboard and it's a faster boot but it loaded with the blue screen of death. I reconnected it to my GPU and now that also shows the blue screen with but with a capped resolution.