Trouble with a new monitor.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
So today I got a new PC and some components to go with it. I installed everything like you normally would with a new computer, but once I installed the drivers for my monitor which came on the disc I started having some trouble. I can't use the computer for more than five minutes without the monitor either going completely white, green or fading to black. I'm using an LG W2242S-PF and had no luck searching Google for this problem.
So today I got a new PC and some components to go with it. I installed everything like you normally would with a new computer, but once I installed the drivers for my monitor which came on the disc I started having some trouble. I can't use the computer for more than five minutes without the monitor either going completely white, green or turning itself off. I'm using an LG W2242S-PF and had no luck searching Google for this problem. I've also tried grabbing the newest drivers for my graphics card and monitor from the official websites and installing them but no luck.

Specs:

AMD Phenom 2.6GHz X4
2GB RAM
512Mb nVidia GeForce 8100 Integrated
450W Power Supply
22" monitor running @ 1680x1050

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Try flashing the latest BIOS for your mobo. Usually integrated VGAs are having problems with newer resolutions (your is widescreen 16:10). Also look onto your motherboard's website for any solutions, or look on NVIDIA's website as well. What about Safe Mode? Does it work fine there?
Also check your cabling, remove it from the VGA connector and check the pins, then re-plug it properly.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll go ahead and try them. One thing I don't understand is when I installed XP the computer was on for a good half hour or so with no trouble at all. I have no idea why it was fine for all that time and acting up now.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I believe when you first installed XP and not the card's drivers, Windows installed its own set of drivers which apparently did not cause any problems with your screen. I assume you have already checked the resolution settings as well as the refresh rates?

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I'm worried about flashing the BIOS, if I were to be half way through doing so and the monitor goes white on me I'm pretty much stuck and have to turn the computer off.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
hmm... so the monitor does go white etc, even when you are not in Windows? (DOS, Command Prompt, etc?)

If so then it is not a matter of drivers at all. There is something wrong with either your video card, monitor or the cabling.

Which port are you using to connect DVI? Try the DSUB or an HDMI and see if the display gets corrupted as well.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I have an update. I managed to find an old CRT monitor to use for the time being, I hooked it all up and everything was working fine... for about 20 minutes. I had the exact same problem as the other monitor I was using, the screen turned white and stopped responding. So I'm fairly certain that it's either the graphics card or motherboard, and seeing at the graphics card is part of the motherboard I'm not sure which one it is.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Since it is integrated then it is on the motherboard and there is no way to repair it. Unfortunately you will need to obtain a new motherboard altogether. If it is still under warranty then just get a RMA and get a new one.

Since it is happening after some time i suspect that the graphics card (either the chip or the memory of the chip) on the motherboard get very hot and then is when your problems begin. If you look on your motherboard you should see a rather bigger heatsink. (What model is your motherboard anyway?). Touch that heatsink while it is working and see if it is getting hot. If it is, then you might be able to solve your problem easily by installing a fan blowing on it to keep it cool. If you do not know which one is the heatsink for your VGA then tell me the model of your mobo and i will try to find it for you.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Your VGA is integrated in the chipset pointed with the yellow arrow

Put a fan on the heatsink or point a strong fan to it and see if it makes a difference.

Regarding RAM or CPU, anything is possible but i highly doubt it (99.5%).

Ultimately i would go ahead with the BIOS update if nothing else worked. The reason:
The BIOS update only takes about 30 seconds and only requires one click on your keyboard. Hence even if your screen goes blank after you have pressed the key, there is nothing to be afraid of. Just wait 60 seconds to be sure and then reset your system. Even if it screwed up everything it does not matter because it seems you need to change your motherboard anyway (faulty).

Try the fan solution on the heatsink first though. Also try to touch it after some time and see if it gets hot. I suspect that is the case.