[SOLVED] Trouble with memory - B450 Tomahawk , 2700x, Gskill ddr4 3200mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2020
So i bought an additional set of ram to upgrade from 16gb to 32gb (Gskill TridentZ 2x8 3200mhz ddr4). It's exactly the same set as i had before, same clock speed and serial number. First I just installed it normally and made sure the clock speed was the same for every sticks and my pc started getting BSOD for different causes but all related to memory failure or something like that. I updated my bios but it didn't fix anything and i'm now stuck with the <Mod Edit> msi lite-bios rip. I then tried to clock my ram to different speeds ( 1800, 2600, 3000) but they all eventually made my pc crash. I thought maybe my new set was faulty so i ran the windows memory check thing but it didn't detected anything. I then tried to switch my rams to different slots and here's what i found. on the 2nd and 4th slots, with only two sticks, everything works perfectly at 3200 mhz, even the new set, but on the 1st and 3rd set, nothing works. even with one or two stick, my pc won't boot. I included a picture for reference. It just run on idle and nothing shows up. Something weird i may have found is that my old set runs at 1.2v at 3200mhz and my new one at 1.36v at 3200mhz. With all the four sticks it's a 1.36v too. At this point, i tried so many things and i'm currently thinking that maybe some slots on my motherboard are dead or faulty or maybe i need to activate something in the bios to make it work properly. Here's my complete setup :
-2700x (no overclock)
-gtx 1070ti (no overclock)
-B450 Tomahawk
-Gskill TridentZ 2x8gb DDR4 3200 (before upgrade)
-550w EVGA 80+ gold
-250gb nvme ssd wd black (boot drive)

Sorry for my English, it isn't my first language. I hope you guys can help find a solution! Thank you!

Solution
It might be that you're unlucky.

Same RAM speed and same serial number doesn't mean anything with DDR4 RAM. Unless all modules came from the exact same manufacturing bin, you may run into compatibility issues. This is why, with DDR4, we've been saying to always purchase your total RAM in one kit.

What I would try is one old RAM module is slot 2 and one new RAM module in slot 4 and see if you can get your system up and running without a BSOD.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan

Same RAM speed and same serial number doesn't mean anything with DDR4 RAM. Unless all modules came from the exact same manufacturing bin, you may run into compatibility issues. This is why, with DDR4, we've been saying to always purchase your total RAM in one kit.

What I would try is one old RAM module is slot 2 and one new RAM module in slot 4 and see if you can get your system up and running without a BSOD.

-Wolf sends

Solution
Apr 12, 2020

-Wolf sends

I'll try it thank you! It's kinda dumb that you can't upgrade without being sure it will work. I guess i'll ask a refund if it doesn't work.

Apr 12, 2020

-Wolf sends

I'm currently running on an old one and a newer one at 3200mhz 1.36v and everything seems to work perfectly. I guess it has to be my motherboard?

Apr 12, 2020
Next, move them to slots 1 and 3 and see if your system boots up.

-Wolf sends

Ok here's where I'm at : i plugged an old and new one in slots 1 and 3 and everything was stable at 3200mhz then i tried 4 sticks at 3200mhz, mismatching the sticks and i got one BSOD (page fault in notpaged area) and the game i use as a benchmark crashes.

Apr 12, 2020
Mixed RAM in 2 and 4 - OK
Mixed RAM in 1 and 3 - OK
All Slots Occupied - BSOD

I can think of anything else other than a faulty motherboard.

-Wolf sends

Well yeah i think there's no other explanation. Thank you a lot for you help, I'll keep running at 16gb until i find something or i decide to replace it .

I plugged an old and new one in slots 1 and 3 and everything was stable at 3200mhz then i tried 4 sticks at 3200mhz, mismatching the sticks and i got one BSOD (page fault in notpaged area) and the game i use as a benchmark crashes.
You need to run dual rank configurations (4x8GB in your case) with Ryzen 2000 at no higher than 3000MT/s otherwise the system will just restart or crash, unless you do hours of timing tweaks to get it stable at 3200MT/s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS