Truncating Files what does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Because I have to close my pc using the power button, each time I go to turn
on my pc the chk disk comes up and it has truncated either 1 or 2 of my
files---what does this mean in laymans language?

truncate = to shorten by or as if by cutting off.

Short File Name (8.3) as opposed to Long file Name.

Windows truncates the file name, if necessary, to six characters and appends
a tilde (~) and a digit. For example, each unique file name created ends
with "~1." Duplicate file names end with "~2," "~3," and so on.

Windows truncates the file name extension to three characters or less.

Long Name C:\Documents and Settings\Wesley P. Vogel\Local Settings\Temp

becomes

Short Name C:\DOCUME~1\WESLEY~1.VOG\LOCALS~1\Temp

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:EF6F4714-10F7-4093-B597-0C6DF0563503@microsoft.com,
britalia2002 <britalia2002@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Because I have to close my pc using the power button, each time I go
> to turn on my pc the chk disk comes up and it has truncated either 1
> or 2 of my files---what does this mean in laymans language?

Thank you Wesley, I had heard the term before but I never knew what it meant.
Will my files still work okay if they have been truncated?

Thanks again

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> truncate = to shorten by or as if by cutting off.
>
> Short File Name (8.3) as opposed to Long file Name.
>
> Windows truncates the file name, if necessary, to six characters and appends
> a tilde (~) and a digit. For example, each unique file name created ends
> with "~1." Duplicate file names end with "~2," "~3," and so on.
>
> Windows truncates the file name extension to three characters or less.
>
> Long Name C:\Documents and Settings\Wesley P. Vogel\Local Settings\Temp
>
> becomes
>
> Short Name C:\DOCUME~1\WESLEY~1.VOG\LOCALS~1\Temp
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:EF6F4714-10F7-4093-B597-0C6DF0563503@microsoft.com,
> britalia2002 <britalia2002@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Because I have to close my pc using the power button, each time I go
> > to turn on my pc the chk disk comes up and it has truncated either 1
> > or 2 of my files---what does this mean in laymans language?

Yes wes... the files will defenitely work if only the name is getting
truncated. but look for the files those are reffered by programs and
other files. in that case the filer not found error might show up..
Nicki

--
nishanthjm
nishanthjm's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=10454

Yes, in fact some 16-bit applications may not be able to find files and
directories with long filenames.

Also some third-party programs cannot be installed on NTFS volumes if 8.3
names are disabled. Norton Utilities has problems if 8.3 names are
disabled.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes