[SOLVED] Trying to find a good M.2 SSD between Samsung and Sabrent

iAserty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
I currently have a gen 3 motherboard, Aorus z390 Ultra. I'm confused about which of these 3 drives I should get since I only have a gen 3 mobo.

• Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2tb
  • Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tb
  • Sabrent Rocket 2tb
Firstly, I'm not sure what the difference is between those two Sabrent drives, one is Quad Level Cell, and the other is Triple Level Cell, and the TLC one is more expensive. Other than that I'm not sure which is better. But they're both Gen4 pcie, which means they'll be working at downclocked speeds on my motherboard, making the samsung a tiny bit faster, but the sabrent q4 is about $50 cheaper than the other 2 though.

I'll primarily be using this drive as an installation drive, I already have a different drive for my OS and storage.

Which would be the better choice between these 3? I want it to last for a very long time.

Solution
As a practical matter, all 3 drives will be obsolete long before they wear out in a desktop environment.
The larger the drive, the longer it lasts,
Only if you are in a high update oriented server environment will endurance be an issue.

Similarly, while benchmarks may show differences, in real life you would be hard pressed to detect any difference in performance.

The Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tb claim to fame is that it supports 4.0 pcie speed which you do not have.
That is why it is more expensive.

I can not find the warranty info for sabrent; the samsung has a 5 year warranty.
If you buy the samsung pcie drive, install the samsung nvme driver for best operation.

You may want to pick based on which drive has the better customer...
I currently have a gen 3 motherboard, Aorus z390 Ultra. I'm confused about which of these 3 drives I should get since I only have a gen 3 mobo.

• Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2tb
  • Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tb
  • Sabrent Rocket 2tb
Firstly, I'm not sure what the difference is between those two Sabrent drives, one is Quad Level Cell, and the other is Triple Level Cell, and the TLC one is more expensive. Other than that I'm not sure which is better. But they're both Gen4 pcie, which means they'll be working at downclocked speeds on my motherboard, making the samsung a tiny bit faster, but the sabrent q4 is about $50 cheaper than the other 2 though.

I'll primarily be using this drive as an installation drive, I already have a different drive for my OS and storage.

Which would be the better choice between these 3? I want it to last for a very long time.
Kingsto A2000
ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro

As a practical matter, all 3 drives will be obsolete long before they wear out in a desktop environment.
Only if you are in a high update oriented server environment will endurance be an issue.

Similarly, while benchmarks may show differences, in real life you would be hard pressed to detect any difference in performance.

The Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tb claim to fame is that it supports 4.0 pcie speed which you do not have.

I can not find the warranty info for sabrent; the samsung has a 5 year warranty.
If you buy the samsung pcie drive, install the samsung nvme driver for best operation.

You may want to pick based on which drive has the better customer support in your country.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution

iAserty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Gen4 doesn't mean anything to you, they would work only at PCIe 3gen MBs.

You may want to pick based on which drive has the better customer support in your country.
Western Digital is also a good option. Their performance NVMe drives equal Samsung's Pro/Evo series.

Thanks for the info guys, I guess I'll go with the Samsung Evo Plus then, I'll also check that WD one. Just a correction on geofelt. the Q4 one was the cheaper Sabrent one compared to the none Q4 version, atleast the ones I've found. Thanks again for the infos.

iAserty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Gen4 doesn't mean anything to you, they would work only at PCIe 3gen MBs.

Western Digital is also a good option. Their performance NVMe drives equal Samsung's Pro/Evo series.

Follow up question, since the Sabrent q4 is $50 cheaper than the Samsung evo plus, would it be beneficial to get it even for just it's downclocked speed? Comparing them according to their respective sites, sabrent q4 has a downclocked gen3 read/write speed of 3,300/3,300 to samsung's 3,500/3,300. Or are there other factors that make it so that I should just go with the Samsung evo plus?

USAFRet

Titan
"sabrent q4 has a downclocked gen3 read/write speed of 3,300/3,300 to samsung's 3,500/3,300 "

That difference is totally irrelevant.
Car A has a top speed of 162mph. Car B has a top speed of 165mph.

Which one has a better warranty and customer service?

Reactions: alceryes

iAserty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
"sabrent q4 has a downclocked gen3 read/write speed of 3,300/3,300 to samsung's 3,500/3,300 "

That difference is totally irrelevant.
Car A has a top speed of 162mph. Car B has a top speed of 165mph.

Which one has a better warranty and customer service?

Yes exactly, that's what I meant, since they basically have neglible difference atleast in read/write speeds in gen3; eventhough I won't be using its gen4 capabilities, would it be better to get the sabrent q4 since it's cheaper?

Other than those speeds, I'm not sure what other features or quality trumps one or the other.

Regarding warranties, I'm also not sure, but I'll be purchasing them on amazon since that's the only place I can buy them.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes exactly, that's what I meant, since they basically have neglible difference atleast in read/write speeds in gen3; eventhough I won't be using its gen4 capabilities, would it be better to get the sabrent q4 since it's cheaper?

Other than those speeds, I'm not sure what other features or quality trumps one or the other.

Regarding warranties, I'm also not sure, but I'll be purchasing them on amazon since that's the only place I can buy them.
Amazon only counts for the first 30 days.
After that, the manufacturer.