[SOLVED] Trying to repair my HDD but system ask me to change AHCI to IDE to continue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2020
I am trying to fix the bad sectors of my HDD using HDD Regenerator, at first it asked me to changed bios from AHCI to IDE so I did not. Midway of scanning it stopped because of that issue. Is there any consequences if I changed the bios to IDE? I am using SSD as my main storage, and it has the OS. Will the SSD be affected by this change? Or does it matter if I change it to IDE, finish the repair and go back to AHCI. Please help, not that techy. Thanks!

Solution
Win7 won't be able to boot either. IDE and AHCI "talk" the the drive in a different way and use different drivers. Your AHCi installation won't have installed the IDE drivers.

To get the IDE driver to load I would strongly suggest making a full backup and then editing the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide and changing the Start value to 0

Reboot into the bios and change to IDE mode.

popatim

Titan
Win7 won't be able to boot either. IDE and AHCI "talk" the the drive in a different way and use different drivers. Your AHCi installation won't have installed the IDE drivers.

To get the IDE driver to load I would strongly suggest making a full backup and then editing the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide and changing the Start value to 0

Reboot into the bios and change to IDE mode.

Solution
HDD Regenerator and SpinRite both claim to refresh problematic sectors, but under some circumstances they can transparently corrupt your data. That's because they use the obsolete ATA Read Long command. Modern drives no longer support this command, or they may implement it incorrectly.

See "response #5" in the following tutorial:

http://www.deepspar.com/blog/Read-Ignoring-ECC.html

In any case there is a free alternative:

http://www.puransoftware.com/DiskFresh.html

Status
Not open for further replies.