Question TUF B450-plus gaming - fans turn on but no display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2020
Ok long post incoming:
First off, the build:ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard (Yes mine has the sticker saying it's Ryzen 3000 ready out of the box)
AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.2 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4r
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (Yes this is a supported memory module for this motherboard).
SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 5600 XT DirectX 12 100419P6GL 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 ATX Video Card
CORSAIR CX-M Series CX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Haswell Ready ATX12V & EPS12V Semi-Modular Power Supply CP-9020103-NA
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280
WD Blue WD20EZAZ 2TB 5400 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

I just finished assembling a new computer and when I went to turn it on, the CPU fan and chassis fans spun up, the motherboard decorative LEDs turned on, and the GPU decorative lights turned on, but the monitor says it's not receiving a signal. The CPU, 24 pin motherboard, and GPU all have the proper power cables connected.

I have two monitors (which both work with my laptop via HDMI or my old computer via DVI, haven't tested displayport before) and neither worked with any of the 3 display ports on the GPU, nor the HDMI. Initially I tried to boot with all the bells and whistles plugged in, but I'm down to just trying CPU + CPU cooler + GPU + 1 ram stick. No chassis fans, no header audio, no USB anything, no hard drive/ssd/storage. I've reseated everything except the motherboard itself.

The processor is in the correct orientation and none of the pins are bent or dirty.

I tossed in my old GTX 760 with a DVI connection to monitor, still no go (the fans spun up on the video card, so it's definitely getting some power/signal). I tossed the RX 5600 into my old desktop and it worked (using a displayport).

I have two RAM sticks, and I've tried using both (one at a time) in each of the 4 slots, to no avail.

I even tried flipping the little BIOS switch on the GPU to the other setting, nothing changed.

I tried shorting the jumpers to reset the BIOS, nada, then tried taking the battery out and shorting it for a minute to completely clear the CMOS memory, still nada.

Frankensteined up my old desktop with the new PSU and it ran fine.

I tried booting it with a USB stick containing a BIOS update file in it, not really sure why I thought that would change anything, but I was pretty well throwing anything at the wall and seeing what sticks. It seems to be a pretty slick wall though.

Two things I did note were that my keyboard backlight didn't turn on when I booted it up (for the attempts with a keyboard plugged in) and the RX 5600s fans didn't spin up (although the GTX 760s fans did).

From what I can tell the motherboard doesn't have a speaker/buzzer, and the chassis certainly doesn't, so I can't work via beep codes.

Given all the above, I'm really thinking either I got a batch of two RAM sticks that are bad, DOA processor, DOA mobo, or the "ready to work with ryzen 3000 out of box" sticker was sadly misplaced.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020
Three things i can think off,
one you got some realy old stock and the bios needs an update to work with that 3600
two the cpu might be DOA so needs rma,
three the motherboard isn't working well and needs rma.
Thanks for the feedback. I too was worried about getting old stock without the BIOS update so I decided to tackle #1 and #3 at the same time and get an X570 board (equipped with QLEDs to hopefully identify the problem if the mobo wasn't it)

Problem is, now the red CPU LED is staying lit on the new motherboard, so I'm really thinking CPU at this point. I've reseated it, tightened fan screws evenly, dusted off the pins, put new thermal gunk on, etc. No visible damage either.

Off to the RMAcopter!

Status
Not open for further replies.