Question Turned off computer, now it wont turn.

Asdfggg

Prominent
Oct 16, 2019
One day I was on my computer and I installed a Gpu and there was some problems, after I installed drivers for the gpu, whenever I would startup my computer it would blue screen, so flipped off my pc and went to get another gpu, to see if the problem was the gpu or Pci-e slot, so I put it in and tried turning it on, but nothing happened, I opened the case and the motherboard light wasn't on, so I removed the gpu to see if that helped, nothing happened. So I looked it up and some people said to reset the CMOS, so I tried that, and that didn't work, so I tried the paperclip test to see if it was the psu, but the fans turned on so it wasn't that. I tried another CPU but that didn't work either, and so I took the motherboard out of the case to see if it was shorting, and the light for the motherboard turned on... But then turned off again, and I haven't got it to turn on since. I also tried replacing the Ram with ram I know works, it didn't work, I also tried replacing the Cmos battery, that didn't work either, I also checked for leaking or bulging capacitors, but they seemed alright, I also tried a different power cable, but that didn't work. From my guess is the motherboard its self is dead, but before I bought a new one I wanted to try everything possible, so if anyone knows another solution that might work, please tell me.

And if you want to know my system specs, here you go:

GPU: Gtx 560 ti 1gb
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2 GHz
RAM: 8gb DDR3 Ballistix Sports
MOBO: just some HP motherboard idk
HDD: 320gb WD blue 7200rpm
PSU: Supermax ATX P-400w

Asdfggg

Prominent
Oct 16, 2019
Supermax ATX P-400w
^ That does not inspire confidence in me regarding the conclusion you've come to that the board is the culprit. Have you tried working with a branded, known working, 550W PSU to power the entire system?
Well, I have plugged in everything besides the motherboard and the psu runs fine.

Asdfggg

Prominent
Oct 16, 2019
I believe the motherboard's been damaged.
It lights up for but a moment and goes right out - that's identical to receiving a brand new mobo, only for it to be DOA.
well, the mobo light doesn't light up at all anymore, and it worked for a couple of days until it just stopped.

DSzymborski

Titan
And that the fans start and the PSU starts without the motherboard doesn't tell us if the PSU can maintain an actual load. This PSU should never have been used and if the motherboard is shot, the dodgy garbage-tier PSU is the likeliest suspect. Starting your PC up with that PSU still installed, even while troubleshooting, only increases the odds it also kills something else.

Asdfggg

Prominent
Oct 16, 2019
And that the fans start and the PSU starts without the motherboard doesn't tell us if the PSU can maintain an actual load. This PSU should never have been used and if the motherboard is shot, the dodgy garbage-tier PSU is the likeliest suspect. Starting your PC up with that PSU still installed, even while troubleshooting, only increases the odds it also kills something else.
Yeah maybe, because if I plug in the CPU cooler to the mobo, the fans do turn on, but it could also be this 24 pin to 6 pin adapter I need for the motherboard that maybe stopped sending power to the motherboard for some odd reason.

DSzymborski

Titan
I don't have any spare psu's though.

That doesn't change the situation.

You have a garbage PSU that has under 300W of +12V power and a GPU that can spike to 200W briefly. What did you expect would happen long-term?

You're now in the situation in which you need to replace the PSU before you can determine what else is dead, those deaths possibly caused by the PSU.

In PC building, one of the most expensive parts is a cheap PSU.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah maybe, because if I plug in the CPU cooler to the mobo, the fans do turn on, but it could also be this [24 pin to 6 pin adapter] I need for the motherboard that maybe stopped sending power to the motherboard for some odd reason.
This is likely the source of the problem.
You did mention the motherboard being HP brand... was it one of those non-standard 24-pin types, or was it the psu that was non-standard.

Now, you actually do need a new psu... assuming you didn't damage anything with the current one.

Asdfggg

Prominent
Oct 16, 2019
This is likely the source of the problem.
You did mention the motherboard being HP brand... was it one of those non-standard 24-pin types, or was it the psu that was non-standard.

Now, you actually do need a new psu... assuming you didn't damage anything with the current one.
Well its too late swap before something is damaged since I just found out the circuit leading to the CMOS battery has fried, I think i'll just give up on this computer I have already wasted too much money as it is.

Asdfggg

Prominent
Oct 16, 2019
That doesn't change the situation.

You have a garbage PSU that has under 300W of +12V power and a GPU that can spike to 200W briefly. What did you expect would happen long-term?

You're now in the situation in which you need to replace the PSU before you can determine what else is dead, those deaths possibly caused by the PSU.

In PC building, one of the most expensive parts is a cheap PSU.
Yeah, my brother already told me before that the psu cannot be cheap, but because I was stupid and wasn't thinking at the time, it ended up in disaster.