Question Turning PC off with Fast Startup enabled

Penrose

Commendable
May 26, 2019
So apparently when Fast Startup is enabled, the computer is in like some semi-hybrid state when shutting down. Does this mean the computer is still doing stuff even though I clicked shut-down? I've turned the power supply switch off after shutting the pc down a couple of times, and am worried that I'm not supposed to do that on shutdown while fast startup is enabled. Is it ok to turn the power supply off (after I shut-down the computer, not while it's on) also with Fast Startup enabled?

With fast startup enabled, the file systems are copied onto RAM and remain there in a pseudo sleep mode; in this state your computer is in a suspended state with no background activity; so to answer your question, "Does this mean the computer is still doing stuff even though I clicked shut-down?" No, your computer is not doing any stuff after it is shut down. As far as turn off your power supply, there are no issues as long as you let your PC shutdown completely, usually indicated by your power button light turning off. However, when you turn your power supply off, it may drain your RAM, which will in affect, disable fast startup, which again does no damage, it just means your PC will take a little longer to boot. If your PC does a hard shutdown, without going through the shutdown process, it's always a good idea to unplug your PC and then press the power button. This will drain the remaining power in the PSU that fast startup needs to function, and clear out the RAM of what may be corrupt data.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
you can hold shift down while turning win 10 off and it will turn it fully off (even with fast startup on)

I have seen some people have problems booting up again if they mess with internals after turning PC off with fast startup on.

Penrose

Commendable
May 26, 2019
you can hold shift down while turning win 10 off and it will turn it fully off (even with fast startup on)

I have seen some people have problems booting up again if they mess with internals after turning PC off with fast startup on.

I've turned the PSU off a couple of times and also taken the PC apart also a couple of times, but only after letting it shut down (still with fast startup enabled), I don't see any problems with it at the moment, but will I have caused some damage or something?