two monitor support with two geforces?

shmeggegie

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
If I have a geforce3 in my agp slot, and another geforce (probably 2 mx) in a pci slot, can I get dual monitor support that way? furthermore, will it stretch the screen, or only clone it? sorry to flood the forums, new account, and this site rocks and now I'm excited about getting all my problems fixed.

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Yes it should work. Depending on your OS you should be able to clone, stretch, or have 2 different (offset) windows displayed (say, one playing a DVD movie and the other displaying MS Word). Don't ask me how to do it as I've never set it up, but I'm told it's possible with win xp/2000 and possibly win 98se.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
Do a Win98 Help search for "Multiple Display Support":

<i>From Win98 Help:</i>
<b>Using multiple monitors</b>

With the multiple display support feature in Windows 98, you can use additional monitors to expand your desktop area. When you use multiple monitors, you can move programs from one monitor to another. You can also specify a different and for each monitor.

To use multiple monitors, you need a PCI or AGP video adapter for each monitor.

Note
Opening additional programs when you’re using multiple monitors may place extra demands on your system resources.

<b>To install a secondary monitor </b>

Turn off your computer.

Insert your PCI or AGP video adapter into an available slot.

Turn on your computer.

Windows detects the new video adapter and installs the appropriate drivers. You may be asked to restart several times. Click No until you are told you must restart, and then click Yes.
Notes
To use the multiple display support feature, you need a PCI or AGP video adapter for each monitor.
Your primary monitor is the one that displays the items on your desktop when you start your computer.
The full-screen MS-DOS window always appears in the primary monitor.

<b>To arrange multiple monitors </b>

Open the Display Properties dialog box at the Settings tab.
Drag the monitor icons to positions that represent the physical arrangement of your monitors.
Notes
You can also open the Display Properties dialog box at the Settings tab by clicking Start, pointing to Settings, clicking Control Panel, double-clicking Display, and then clicking Settings.
When you click a monitor icon, a large number appears in the corresponding monitor, and that monitor’s video adapter appears in Display.
The icon positions determine how you move items from one monitor to another. For example, if you’re using two monitors and you want to move items from one monitor to the other by dragging left and right, position the icons side-by-side. To move items between monitors by dragging up and down, position the icons one above the other. The icon positions don’t have to correspond to the physical positions of your monitors. That is, you can position the icons one above the other even though your monitors are side-by-side.
Hope that helps (at least gets you started....there was lots more info in Help as well.

-Rick