Ubisoft Patch Makes its Internet DRM Less Painful

Status
Not open for further replies.

toorudez

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2002
So now you can have save points anywhere you want. Just pull the plug when you're finished for the day. Great job Ubisoft!

sunzeal

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
as far as i know, DRM protection has already been cracked by crackers.

Now the problem is that most of people who does not have good net connection or no net connection or wanna play game in their laptops while they are outside will download the pirated copy instead of buying the original one.

Ubisoft will repent their decession.

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Just give it up Ubisoft. No DRM you create will actually curtail any pirates from downloading a game if we want it. Your copy protection will always be hacked and your just hurting legit gamers. If you want to reduce piracy give us a reason NOT to download your game rather than a reason TO download it.

vicsrealms

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Rolls eyes. I still have to sign in on Ubisofts gaming site, plus remain connected to actually enjoy playing the game. I'll pass, and I won't even buy the book on the off chance that I need to be logged in on the internet to read it. Your not making your loyal fans (not that I purchased an Ubisoft game in years) very happy.

G

Ubisoft press release: "In our arrogance, we thought our DRM was unbreakable. After a very short time, the pirating community effed our arrogance in the A. Now to save face we are releasing a patch that removes one pound of DRM bullsh-t from a multi-ton bullsh-t package. Paying $60 to play our game is a privilege. You, as legit purchasers of our game, should be extremely thankful for what we, in our benevolence, have granted you in this patch."

underpatch

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
the bit that i dont understand is ... when EA did something anus like this with spore it got universal hate from everyone .... what makes ubisoft think that they are so "special" and will not get all the hate ... thier games realy arnt all that great ... i cant remember the last time i was excited for anything coming from that studio ...

why not focus on makeing good games that people want ? ... try that ... maybe that is the secret to selling units ? .... i know that consept is a little far fetch ... but it just might work ... you sure have not tried it yet ....

you "speTHal" people you

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
It does seem supremely silly. They have to pay for this kind of stuff too. DRM is not cheap.

Did Prince of Persia just fall on its face in sales or something? Because that was released with no protection. And they were all "this is your chance to prove to us DRM is not needed"

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
On the other hand, the copy protection scheme may have already been hacked (at least partially) by software pirates.

Yes it has even before the games release there is a hack to fix it and they wonder why people pirate stuff.

I sell games at my computer store alot of people who buy the game run cracks on it to remove drm that causes game to crash, or in this case not able to save while you not connected to net.

Alot of people complained about the drm in this game and would not buy it if there was no crack to fix this silly drm.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Game can now be continued from the exact same point when connection is restored

Still not acceptable. I don't know about you guys, but my wi-fi cuts out multiple times a day, even on the channel with the least interference. I shouldn't have to put up with going back to the title menu during these times while pirates play it detraction free. Screw Ubi.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
They really need to publicize the fact that companies like Ubisoft are hurting our overseas troops by limiting their ability to play computer games. Good job Ubisoft.

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I don't understand what happened to Ubisoft no having ANY DRM? Everyone knows DRM doesn't prevent pirating...it only makes the pirated version more appealing since they often have less issues than the LEGIT release...I maintain that it's more important to prevent a pirated version from reaching the market before the official release date than it is to make it more difficult for the pirates to crack.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Getting a lot of comments from customers looking at the game, i tell them they need an internet connection to play it, some of my customers live on an island no phones, no internet as soon as i told them they said forget it.

G

Oh yes, I will most definitely be boycotting this and all Ubisoft games as of this day. No DRM simple, I am happy to pay for good games with no DR, I am not happy to play pirated games, why should I be penalised because of this, simpler just spend my money elsewhere.

thorimmortal

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]and this is supposed to make it all better?for real????can't I play games that I PAID for WHENEVER and WHEREVER I want?????[/citation]

Not really, they own the program, you are merely purchasing the rights to use it, if you buy a hard copy you own the media but not whats on the disk just the rights to use it, It has nothing to do with gaming, its all about control and money.

canadian87

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Good article but LOL at DRM, I mean come on, what are you really stopping with all this YOU MUST BE CONNECTED bs? You're actually making more people find torrent websites to take your game, just to play it without that feature, and then in the future they may just think twice about buying it at all, when it's readily available without your pre-installed "bugs".

The more they try to control their product, the less control they have over it, I absolutely love that fact, I don't like it when companies try to force the end user to do something they shouldn't have to, and I think they should take it when they lose profits due to their money grubbing.

They're ONLY hurting the legit gamer, not the hacker who got to play the game w/o paying for it, so why have it in there at all?

Nimmist

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Yet another DRM that will entice legitimate users into piracy to use the game they paid for. Piracy is NOT killing PC gaming, DRMs are.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
So the game still pauses when my internet connection drops out?

Wow, no chance in buying this game. I've dealt with the minor annoyances of DRM until now, nothing was really a deal breaker up until now.

I get the online authentication bit, but why do I have to maintain the internet connection? Start the game, verify the game, no need to verify it until you close out and restart right????

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I don't like when games force me to use cracks for my legit copy. What they should've done is what Bioware has been doing by releasing a game and then having free DLC that requires you to sign up, therefore verifying your purchase and also giving the owner something extra as incentive.

Status
Not open for further replies.