[SOLVED] Ubuntu Mate or Ubuntu for Old system ?

Dec 1, 2020
I found an old Acer Aspire laptop which I dissambled, cleaned and made little modifications recently to make it alive again. Changed LCD cable, upgraded ram from 3 to 6, replaced the disk with a 120 gb ssd. CPU is I3.
I am very happy with Ubuntu Mate on my real old tablet pc. My Aspire' s resources are much better than that.

Should I consider Ubuntu for the aspire or better to go on with Ubuntu Mate for performance ? It will be used for web-browsing, youtube and office apps.

Reactions: xenthia
Solution
Dunno why but my last experiences with Lubuntu were not so nice, Mate was less problematic, faster and leaner for me. But i m not sure if Ubuntu itself would be better for I3, 6GB, SSD combination. If the config is okay, I m gonna try Ubuntu instead of Mate first.

So for you; why Lubuntu instead of Mate for old configs ?
Well, to be honest, I have a much less, let's call it "powerful" laptop and I run ubuntu on it with ease, BUT the trick is I install Ubuntu on it, and then using official Ubuntu packages and repos then I "convert" my Ubuntu installation into Lubuntu. This allows for things to be running smoother and the whole experience to feel faster.

Now that whole conversion thing might not work just for everybody, like not...

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
I found an old Acer Aspire laptop which I dissambled, cleaned and made little modifications recently to make it alive again. Changed LCD cable, upgraded ram from 3 to 6, replaced the disk with a 120 gb ssd. CPU is I3.
I am very happy with Ubuntu Mate on my real old tablet pc. My Aspire' s resources are much better than that.

Should I consider Ubuntu for the aspire or better to go on with Ubuntu Mate for performance ? It will be used for web-browsing, youtube and office apps.
Not a fan of Lubuntu?

Dec 1, 2020
Not a fan of Lubuntu?
Dunno why but my last experiences with Lubuntu were not so nice, Mate was less problematic, faster and leaner for me. But i m not sure if Ubuntu itself would be better for I3, 6GB, SSD combination. If the config is okay, I m gonna try Ubuntu instead of Mate first.

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012

Well, to be honest, I have a much less, let's call it "powerful" laptop and I run ubuntu on it with ease, BUT the trick is I install Ubuntu on it, and then using official Ubuntu packages and repos then I "convert" my Ubuntu installation into Lubuntu. This allows for things to be running smoother and the whole experience to feel faster.

Now that whole conversion thing might not work just for everybody, like not everyone would probably want to go through installing Ubuntu, then convert it to Lubuntu, like installing lighter window manager and replacing Gnome and such. So instead I just suggest Lubuntu straight.

Solution