Mar 14, 2019
Hey all,

So I've come across a rather stange issue and I'm now completely out of ideas, but first some exposition!

I had to work from home the other day, so I unplugged my HDMI monitor from my PC to plug in to my work laptop. Awesome.
After I was done with work, I went to plug my monitor back in to my PC, at first nothing happened, my DVI monitor was still displaying fine though.
I then went into Windows display settings to try detect the screen, hit detect and both of my displays went blank. I was able to get something to display only when I had the DVI monitor connected alone, but HDMI refuses to work completely.

Things I have tried:
Rebooting screens (plugged out of power)
Updating Nvidia drivers
Rolling back drivers
Uninstalling and reinstalling GPU from device manager
Tested with another HDMI cable
Tested with another HDMI screen
Clear CMOS
Reseating GPU
Tried another PCI-e power cable
Tried plugging HDMI in to the second port
Tested GPU in another PC (Displays perfectly through HDMI)
Tried rolling back to restore point
Did a complete fresh install of Windows

After all of this, no joy. Every time I plug in the HDMI monitor, both of my screens go blank.
If I have both screens connected before boot, my DVI screen will display the boot splash, but then nothing afterwards, it still looks to be getting signal though. HDMI screen gets no signal whatsoever.
If I plug in my HDMI screen while I'm in Windows, I get the audio prompt that something has been connected, but either nothing happens or both screens go dead again.
Plugging in only the HDMI monitor yields no display at all.

A strange thing I noticed is that Nvidia control panel does not seem to install properly or at all. I Install the drivers with the single display connected, I can see the Nvidia icon in my tray but cannot open Nvidia control panel. I cannot find it in Windows control panel either, I'll attach an image for clarity.
Strangely I am unable to install the standard Nvidia drivers, only the DCH versions seem to work. Standard is what I have been using up until this point, I will attach the error message I get when trying to install the standard driver to this post as well.

Another thing is that I can't really do anything in my BIOS, it's as if the resolution is messed up with the DVI screen and everything displays over each other, so I can't actually see any settings or information.

My rig:
AMD Ryzen 2600X
MSI X470 Carbon Pro motherboard
MSI GTX 1060 6GB Armor
512GB SK Hynix nvme
2 x HDD, WD blue 2TB and Seagate 1TB
Windows 10 Pro build

Screenshots

Let me know if there is any further information I can provide, I'm rather frustrated with this now.

Thank you.

Mar 14, 2019
I flashed a new BIOS then enabled Windows WHQL support, the HDMI screen is then the one that shows the MSI BIOS splash screen, goes dead after, and Windows cannot detect the display.

I have not another GPU yet, I'll do that now and let you know. Thanks.

Mar 14, 2019
So I've got a GTX 970 in now, at first the PC would not POST with both screens plugged in, so I tried with just the DVI one, got to Windows, plugged the second screen in and nothing happened for a few minutes, Windows would still not detect, then it suddenly picked it up and is currently displaying on both screens.