Unable to get into BIOS without monitor going to sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedycerv

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
This is a new build. I have been able to get into the bios plenty of times and then after a couple restarts and installing motherboard drivers when the computer starts up now the monitor just sleeps until it hits windows. If I keep tapping delete to get into the bios the monitor just stays asleep and never wakes up. I have tried updating the bios, which it updates fine according to the @bios gigabyte utility, I have tried setting my monitor to 60 hertz refresh rate and nothing helps. I have tried going to advanced start up options for windows and trying to boot in safe mode and the monitor just stays asleep. I tried plugging my old monitor into the integrated graphics hdmi instead of the video card. I'm not sure what it could be other than it's an issue with my motherboard. I have pressed the CMOS button on the back to reset the bios and that has fixed the issue for a short term but now even that isn't working.

I have an aorus master z390 motherboard in windows 10.

edit:
UWrCuVS
I have an update though. I took out my video card and I was able to see the bios again. The CMOS reset didn't take and I'm still on the updated version of the bios. The odd thing is the bios was set to boot from the PCIe 1 slot (where my card is) and yet it wouldn't let the bios be shown.
UWrCuVS

Edit 2: so I was playing around with this a bit but still having some issues:
If I only plug in one monitor into the video card (display port) the bios shows up.
If I plug in one monitor into the integrated, and one into the video card, it shows up as well.
If I have both monitors plugged into the video card (display port and hdmi) the bios doesn't show up. So for now I can just unplug one monitor and get into the bios no issues... Not sure what to make of this. The video card is a GeForce gtx 1080 ti and has been working fine from my old computer.

Pressing clear CMOS button without disconnecting the AC power from the wall can damage the motherboard.

To access your BIOS on a Windows 10 PC, you must follow these steps.

1.Navigate to settings. ...
2.Select Update & security.
3.Select Recovery from the left menu.
4.Click Restart Now under Advanced startup. ...
5.Click Troubleshoot.
6.Click Advanced options.
7.Select UEFI Firmware Settings.
8.Click Restart.

speedycerv

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008

I have seen this as well and this info is either incorrect or old at step 7 the choices are : system restore; unsintall updates; system image recovery; startup repair; command prompt; start up settings.

The start up settings is what I chose previously to boot in safe mode.

I have an update though. I took out my video card and I was able to see the bios again. The CMOS reset didn't take and I'm still on the updated version of the bios. The odd thing is the bios was set to boot from the PCIe 1 slot (where my card is) and yet it wouldn't let the bios be shown.

UWrCuVS

Status
Not open for further replies.