Question Unable to get past the "Please press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI BIOS settings" screen. Need Help

TheSpiffyOne

Reputable
Jan 8, 2021
Hi, I'm having a very strange issue with my PC, if someone could help that would be fantastic!

My PC Specs are:
Motherboard: Asus Prime x370-a
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700
GPU: Radeon RX Vega 64 8g
PSU: Corsair RM850x
HDD and SSD
(The Build is about 5 years old)

Recently I updated my Drivers for my GPU to the latest version, as well as update kernal based software (anti-cheat). The next day I booted up my PC and got a blue screen on boot saying something "kernal exception". I was able to get into Windows and uninstalled the GPU Drivers, re-installed them as well as installed new Chipset Drivers for my CPU. After that I tried restarting my PC, I pressed Restart, it started the process and just stopped on a Black screen, the only solution was turning off the PC by holding the power button. After turning on the PC it booted me into Windows 11 without any blue screen, but needing to turn off and on my PC multiple times. I decided that it might be the CPU that's causing this restart issue, so I uninstalled the Chipset I had and installed one from my motherboard manufacturer. After that I tried restarting again and the same thing happened, but this time after powering off the PC you have to keep turning it on and off to have a chance to get into Windows, after those attempts my PC doesn't even get a "Please press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI BIOS settings" screen. If I unplug the PSU and wait for a while, then I get a chance to get into the Bios (usually it doesn't even display anything even though the PC is visibly on), but once I get into the Bios and try to exit, it goes to a black screen and then gets stuck on the "Please press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI BIOS settings" screen, without any chance to enter BIOS.

I have Tried removing ram, reseating it, clearing CMOS, unplugging my HDD AND SSD, re-flashing the BIOS, nothing has helped, my GPU doesn't display any error codes and my motherboard doesn't have the ability to show error codes. What could this be? Could this be my CMOS battery? CPU? Motherboard?

DaleH

Notable
Mar 24, 2023
Hi, I'm having a very strange issue with my PC, if someone could help that would be fantastic!

My PC Specs are:
Motherboard: Asus Prime x370-a
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700
GPU: Radeon RX Vega 64 8g
PSU: Corsair RM850x
HDD and SSD
(The Build is about 5 years old)

Recently I updated my Drivers for my GPU to the latest version, as well as update kernal based software (anti-cheat). The next day I booted up my PC and got a blue screen on boot saying something "kernal exception". I was able to get into Windows and uninstalled the GPU Drivers, re-installed them as well as installed new Chipset Drivers for my CPU. After that I tried restarting my PC, I pressed Restart, it started the process and just stopped on a Black screen, the only solution was turning off the PC by holding the power button. After turning on the PC it booted me into Windows 11 without any blue screen, but needing to turn off and on my PC multiple times. I decided that it might be the CPU that's causing this restart issue, so I uninstalled the Chipset I had and installed one from my motherboard manufacturer. After that I tried restarting again and the same thing happened, but this time after powering off the PC you have to keep turning it on and off to have a chance to get into Windows, after those attempts my PC doesn't even get a "Please press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI BIOS settings" screen. If I unplug the PSU and wait for a while, then I get a chance to get into the Bios (usually it doesn't even display anything even though the PC is visibly on), but once I get into the Bios and try to exit, it goes to a black screen and then gets stuck on the "Please press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI BIOS settings" screen, without any chance to enter BIOS.

I have Tried removing ram, reseating it, clearing CMOS, unplugging my HDD AND SSD, re-flashing the BIOS, nothing has helped, my GPU doesn't display any error codes and my motherboard doesn't have the ability to show error codes. What could this be? Could this be my CMOS battery? CPU? Motherboard?
If this all started with the driver upgrades, then I would suspect this to be the cause of your problem. Too bad you don't have integrated graphics for testing. I'm guessing that you didn't do a restore point befor you made the changes.

TheSpiffyOne

Reputable
Jan 8, 2021
If this all started with the driver upgrades, then I would suspect this to be the cause of your problem. Too bad you don't have integrated graphics for testing. I'm guessing that you didn't do a restore point befor you made the changes.
Yeah sadly I didnt do a restore point, even if I did I still wouldn't even be able to use, since I can't get into Windows, I'm lost on what could be broken. Right now I'm guessing between the CPU, the Motherboard or the CMOS battery and i dont really know how to narrow it down, since I dont have any spare parts on hand.

Recently I updated my Drivers for my GPU to the latest version, as well as update kernal based software (anti-cheat).
The next day I booted up my PC and got a blue screen on boot saying something "kernal exception".
What could this be? Could this be my CMOS battery? CPU? Motherboard?
Boot into safe mode and get rid of that "kernal based software".
If that doesn't help, then reinstall windows.

Reactions: DaleH