Question unable to install scanner

weybrew

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2016
A couple of years ago I purchased a CanoScan LiDE 400 scanner for my personal use... single user, very light activity. Every time I tried to scan a plain b/w document I would get the error message (below). I tried launching the scanner with Canon's IJ Scan Utility, Windows Fax and Scan, and a 3rd party app, Scan. If I tried long enough one of these launchers sometimes would decide to work correctly. The problem was chronic enough for me to call Canon Tech support... ha. After giving up trying to solve the problem they agreed to send me a replacement.

​Canon did get this one working initially, but after a time before I needed to scan something the scanner once again reverted back to the same recurring failure. I hadn't noticed it right away since my needs are very, very minimal. Once again I battled Canon to get to a warm, breathing tech... ha ha. So, after nearly 2 hours (!) I still do not have a working scanner.
​
​I have tried doing multiple installs, both via Canon's auto-install as well as manually. Canon has made it clear they are done, and with my basic tech savvy have run out of ideas. Hopefully one of you more gifted readers might help. Needless to say, I will be in your debt with any offered help.

A couple of years ago I purchased a CanoScan LiDE 400 scanner for my personal use... single user, very light activity. Every time I tried to scan a plain b/w document I would get the error message (below). I tried launching the scanner with Canon's IJ Scan Utility, Windows Fax and Scan, and a 3rd party app, Scan. If I tried long enough one of these launchers sometimes would decide to work correctly. The problem was chronic enough for me to call Canon Tech support... ha. After giving up trying to solve the problem they agreed to send me a replacement.

​Canon did get this one working initially, but after a time before I needed to scan something the scanner once again reverted back to the same recurring failure. I hadn't noticed it right away since my needs are very, very minimal. Once again I battled Canon to get to a warm, breathing tech... ha ha. So, after nearly 2 hours (!) I still do not have a working scanner.
​
​I have tried doing multiple installs, both via Canon's auto-install as well as manually. Canon has made it clear they are done, and with my basic tech savvy have run out of ideas. Hopefully one of you more gifted readers might help. Needless to say, I will be in your debt with any offered help.
Use only USB2 port, Driver should be installed without scanner connected and connected only when it asks for it or after rebooting.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I note that the specs for this unit say it must be used with a USB3 port. This is for two reasons: scanning SPEED quoted depends on fast data transfer from scanner to computer, AND the unit requires ALL of the power available from a standard USB3 port. That is, 5 VDC at 0.9 A for a max of 4.5 W. The manual uses the phrase "at least USB 3.0". The specs have evolved and names changed. So now what that is called is "USB3.2 Gen1", which is capable of moving data at up to 5 Gb/s. Such a port on a computer may be available as an older Type A socket OR as a newer Type C socket. IF the computer has an even faster version of USB3.2 (such as Gen2) it definitely should be from a Type C socket, and you CAN use that for this scanner. NOTE that the scanner cable has a Type C plug on it, so if your computer has a USB3.2 Gen1 socket that it Type A only, you will need an adapter. You can NOT use this with an older Type A socket that is for USB2. That cannot provide all the power required by this scanner.

NOTE this with respect to power. You should not try to use this through a USB3 Hub, especially a "bus powered" hub that does NOT have its own power supply module. Because the scanner needs all the power from its connection port, it should be the ONLY item plugged into a USB3.2 Gen1 port on the computer, preferably one on the mobo's back panel. That should ensure it gets the power it needs.

Considering the story of multiple failed attempts to install this unit, I suggest the following sequence to wipe out all previous traces and start fresh.
1. Boot up with scanner NOT attached. Use the CanoScan software to try to find an UNINSTALL process to remove it from your system. See this web page

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/ScanGear/W/SFS/20.0/EN/SG/sg-961.html

If that does not seem to work, you could try looking in the Windows file folder for an uninstall process.
2. Reboot. In the search window at bottom left type Device Manager to open a window for that tool. Go through the devices, clicking on arrows to expand so you can see them. Search for any item that says it is for the scanner. For any you find, RIGHT-click on it and choose to Uninstall Device. When finished, back out of Device Manager and reboot with the scanner STILL UNattached.
3. Go to this web page

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/WebPortal/PTL/ptl-select.html?lng=en&type=setup&area=ca

and select your LiDE400 scanner, then download the Setup software. Find that in your Windows Downloads folder. RIGHT-click on that and Run as Administrator. Follow its instructions about when to connect the scanner to the correct back panel socket.

This process should remove all old traces of the scanner, then do a fresh Install when the scanner is connected to a reliable socket. Hopefully that can work.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
I have a much older CanonScan LiDE 20.

Canon and Nikon are famous for not supporting their old flatbed and film/transparency scanners in newer Operating Systems. The SilverFast software that came with a SCSI Canon slide scanner only runs in XP.

I use a program called VueScan with my old Canon and HP flatbed scanners. You can download a trial copy here.
https://www.hamrick.com/

The unregistered version allows you to check if VueScan works with your 400, but the resulting scans will be watermarked until you pay for a registered version.

Reactions: CountMike

weybrew

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2016
Many thanks to all for the excellent information offered. I have discovered that I had mistakenly connected via a USB charging port. Once corrected, the scanner seems to be working properly again. Mark this SOLVED.

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
Many thanks to all for the excellent information offered. I have discovered that I had mistakenly connected via a USB charging port. Once corrected, the scanner seems to be working properly again. Mark this SOLVED.
The first thing you look at every usb is the cables

TRENDING THREADS