Question Unable to make my NVMe m.2 drive bootable/usable, and annoying hissing sound from PC?

Slythas

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Edit: Added an Imgur Album with pictures I took of the BIOS with info I hope will be helpful to pinpoint the NVMe M.2 SSD issues.

PARTS

NEW
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming
CPU: i9 9900K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3600MHz CL18
Storage: Corsair Force MP510 NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD

OLD (but also currently in use)
GPU: MSI Geforce RTX 2080
PSU: Corsair 800W
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA SSD

MY PROBLEM

First problem:

When first assembling everything, I started the computer normally with Windows 10 still on the old SSD, but Windows could not find the new NVMe M.2 SSD anywhere, even in disc management. The only place its recognized is in the list of installed drives in the BIOS, although its not listed in the bootable drives list.

Second problem:

When testing the new parts in games, I noticed a very annoying electrical hissing sound from the computer. I can't pinpoint exactly where, but it sounds like it's close to the GPU, so either the GPU now makes the noice, or its the motherboard.

Is this a bad coil or what could suddenly cause this? Only the MB, CPU, RAM and m.2 are new, the rest are the same parts as before so I don't believe it's the GPU myself.

ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS

First problem attempted solutions:

I've tried unplugging all the other drives and installing Windows with a Windows 10 USB, and as before I can see the new M.2 drive in the BIOS, but not under the bootable list and not during the Windows install either (where you choose drive to install Windows to).

I found this post on the Tomshardware forums and tried all the steps there, but it still won't work.

I have installed the NVMe M.2 drive in the bottom slot on my MB, where the heatshield is. According to the user manual that slot is only for NVMe and shouldn't interfere with any of the SATA slots.

Second problem attempted solutions:

I've tried using a sheet of paper rolled up and pressed against my ear to be able to pinpoint the hissing sound, but to no avail. I remember having this problem before on an older computer, but can't remember how or if I ever fixed it, besides using a headset or increase the game volume so loud that I don't hear the hissing sound.

I don't really know what else to do right now. Could the M.2 drive be faulty, or is it just not compatible with the system/Windows?

And please if anyone knows what the hissing sound is, I need it fixed or I'll go crazy.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:

Slythas

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
I now set the CLM thing to Enabled, restarted and loaded up the BIOS, and now I can see the m.2 drive as a bootable drive. But still when trying to install Windows to it, the m.2 drive doesnt show up in the drive list where I choose what drive to install Windows to.

TRENDING THREADS