Question Unable to use CPU Multiplier x24

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
Hello everyone first of all my English is not that good so i hope you understand what i say. If you want to check my specs it will be listed below. So CPU-Z says "Multiplier x 21.0 (9 - 24)" my CPU can go max x21 and CPU-Z says that it can go up to x24. Do i need to bump up the Voltage in BIOS? if i remember correctly my Voltage is about 1.20V, do i need to take it e.g to 1.25-1.30V? Thank you

My Specs:
• Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
• CPU - Intel Core I5-750 2.80ghz
• Graphics Card - Gigabyte GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4GB
• RAM - Corsair 12GB DDR3 1333mhz
• SSD - Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
• PSU: It's a Greek PSU i think, but check the picture here ( View: https://i.imgur.com/gjbhzYR.jpg
)

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
I would absolutely never, ever, ever attempt any kind of overclock on a low-quality power supply such as this. I wouldn't trust this cube of sadness to regulate the voltage on a turkey sandwich.
If it is a low quality PSU it wouldn't have last at least 5 years and this PSU has survived 7 years i think sooo. So you are roasting my PSU huh?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If it is a low quality PSU it wouldn't have last at least 5 years and this PSU has survived 7 years i think sooo

Yeah, that's not how any of this works. Lots of people who have poor diets and exercise don't have heart attacks; that doesn't mean their heart was healthy or that poor diet and exercise were smart ideas. Lots of drunk drivers don't run their car into a tree or mow down a kid walking on the sidewalk, either.

But if you want to increase the risk of destroying your key components, you're an adult and it's your decision. But I can't ethically assist you in doing this any way and I think you'll find most people here with the same concerns.

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
Yeah, that's not how any of this works. Lots of people who have poor diets and exercise don't have heart attacks; that doesn't mean their heart was healthy or that poor diet and exercise were smart ideas.

But if you want to increase the risk of destroying your key components, you're an adult and it's your decision. But I can't ethically assist you in any way and I think you'll find most people here in that same ethical situation.
Yeah true true. I'm not an adult lol i'm 16 years old

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah true true. I'm not an adult lol i'm 16 years old

If you're 16, that's even more of a reason to not risk destroying your equipment to get two or three more FPS in games or complete your video-editing tasks three seconds quicker. Now, I know nothing about your financial situation, but I remember being 16 and just going out and replacing a fried part is a lot less of a financial burden for me now than it was 25 years ago.

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
If you're 16, that's even more of a reason to not risk destroying your equipment to get two or three more FPS in games or complete your video-editing tasks three seconds quicker. Now, I know nothing about your financial situation, but I remember being 16 and just going out and replacing a fried part is a lot less of a financial burden for me now than it was 25 years ago.
I do not care if i would get 2-3 FPS in games or finishing my editing a tad faster it's a very small difference. If i was 18+ i wouldn't have asked here, i just needed an opinion if i should bumb my Voltage or not. I am pretty good with computers but not with Voltages, so apparently it's not a good idea to do it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bumping voltage will do only 1 thing, raise the heat.

When you are looking at cpu-z, that's the possible range that motherboard/bios can change the multiplier for any cpu, not specifically yours. If you had an i3 550, it might see x24multiplier max, or i7 970, or they might see x20 as the limit, as that's set by the bios/cpu, not by the motherboard.

Basically, the motherboard can go as high as x24, your cpu only goes to x21. It's like a car might be capable of 150mph, but the speed limit is 70mph. Or sometimes 30mph.

Leave the pc alone and enjoy it while you can, it's a 10year old pc and software will shortly render it obsolete no matter what you can or cannot do with it.

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
Bumping voltage will do only 1 thing, raise the heat.

When you are looking at cpu-z, that's the possible range that motherboard/bios can change the multiplier for any cpu, not specifically yours. If you had an i3 550, it might see x24multiplier max, or i7 970, or they might see x20 as the limit, as that's set by the bios/cpu, not by the motherboard.

Basically, the motherboard can go as high as x24, your cpu only goes to x21. It's like a car might be capable of 150mph, but the speed limit is 70mph. Or sometimes 30mph.

Leave the pc alone and enjoy it while you can, it's a 10year old pc and software will shortly render it obsolete no matter what you can or cannot do with it.
Now i understand, i thought the CPU could go up to x24 but apparently not. To be honest my PC it's not a 10 year old PC, my brother bought the PC from 2008 i think, and I've done many upgrades (Motherboard, CPU, GPU etc) and the only thing i haven't replaced yet it's my PSU and I'm wondering how the PSU is still alive. Question, how many years does a PSU last? let's say a 500w PSU.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Wattage doesn't matter. It could be a 1600w monster or a 175w tiny-box psu. They are all the same, a psu. What matters is the quality of output and the quality of build. Your psu has neither. It uses the cheapest possible parts, and not many of them. What you end up with is a DC output (direct current is supposed to be a solid line, not variable like AC voltage) that bounces all over the place. That's called ripple. And there's very little regulation on it. So the micro components and very touchy picky voltage elements like the cpu don't get a clean voltage, it's dirty. Bad ripple treats components like a jack-hammer, not good for them, decreases lifespan.

The only reason your pc has survived this long is you haven't used it hard.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

Pushing 200w through that 500w psu, you are skirting with disaster, another few watts and poof! Shock voltages rip through the motherboard, ram, cpu, gpu.. Buh bye pc.

Psu lifespan is determined by the components used. Cheapest, lowest grade components fail much faster than good quality components. Exact amount of time is impossible to determine. Like asking when will a rubber band snap.

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
Wattage doesn't matter. It could be a 1600w monster or a 175w tiny-box psu. They are all the same, a psu. What matters is the quality of output and the quality of build. Your psu has neither. It uses the cheapest possible parts, and not many of them. What you end up with is a DC output (direct current is supposed to be a solid line, not variable like AC voltage) that bounces all over the place. That's called ripple. And there's very little regulation on it. So the micro components and very touchy picky voltage elements like the cpu don't get a clean voltage, it's dirty. Bad ripple treats components like a jack-hammer, not good for them, decreases lifespan.

The only reason your pc has survived this long is you haven't used it hard.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

Pushing 200w through that 500w psu, you are skirting with disaster, another few watts and poof! Shock voltages rip through the motherboard, ram, cpu, gpu.. Buh bye pc.

Psu lifespan is determined by the components used. Cheapest, lowest grade components fail much faster than good quality components. Exact amount of time is impossible to determine. Like asking when will a rubber band snap.
Thanks for the detailed explanation! Yeah true i haven't been using it that hard. Anyways, can you recommend a PSU that's decent? I want a 500w PSU because i don't have a crazy PC so 500w is enough, my budget about 60 euros. Also if the PSU dies because it aged not by using it hard, will it destroy the other components? or just the PSU?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nobody knows what will happen. There's been psu deaths where the psu just quit, no spark, no flash, no nothing. There's also been psu deaths resulting in the complete destruction of houses, literally set the house on fire. So anything in between is possible, you could loose nothing or everything.

Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€55.90 @ Caseking)

For your pc, this will be fine. I ran a i5-3570k OC and gtx660ti hard OC for years on one, in the budget class, it's about as good as it gets and will power that gtx1050ti with no issues whatsoever.

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
Nobody knows what will happen. There's been psu deaths where the psu just quit, no spark, no flash, no nothing. There's also been psu deaths resulting in the complete destruction of houses, literally set the house on fire. So anything in between is possible, you could loose nothing or everything.

Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€55.90 @ Caseking)

For your pc, this will be fine. I ran a i5-3570k OC and gtx660ti hard OC for years on one, in the budget class, it's about as good as it gets and will power that gtx1050ti with no issues whatsoever.
Oh damn that's bad, wow let's hope that my house doesn't set on fire. Anyways, thank you for your recommendation on the PSU i'll see what i can do, cheers!