Question Underperforming RTX 3080?

DominicU1571

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
I recently installed an RTX 3080 into my system, specifically the EVGA FTW3 Ultra. Unfortunately, I feel somewhat underwhelmed in the performance of the card so far when it comes to my FPS in games like Far Cry 5, Call of Duty: Warzone, and Apex Legends. When it comes to Far Cry 5, I've come to understand that there might be some sort of CPU bottleneck happening but I did not think it would be to the extent that it is when comparing my benchmark performance to others. In Far Cry 5 specifically, I find myself averaging around 95 or so fps in the benchmark and have had instances where heavy action happening naturally in the game would dip my fps into the 40s where other systems with 3080's are hitting 150+ average fps with dips during heavy action bottoming out around 90fps. Granted, I am running with a Ryzen 5 3600 and as I said prior, I understood at the time that there would likely be some bottlenecking, though I did not expect it to happen to this extent. There are similar situations occurring with other games like Warzone and Apex where my average FPS is falling far below other systems with the same or very similar settings. Below are my system specs and resolution that I am playing for all my games.
Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (CPU boosts to 4.2ghz while playing but otherwise stock)
GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Mobo: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero
RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 mhz (2x16GB)
PSU: EVGA G3 850W
Resolution: 2560x1440p

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
At 1440p, the 'bottleneck' shouldn't be bad at all. Understandably, you'll fall short of an overclocked 10900K .... but should be a nice enough pairing for 1440p.

I'm assuming you've removed old GPU drivers and installed the latest 'game-ready' driver for the 3080?

DominicU1571

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
The power supply is a bit weak for this system. 1000 watt psu are really not ever put into the question because its lack of necessity but spikes happen in power that causes things like that,
From what I've seen from nvidia's performance overlay, the card hasn't really pulled anything above 350 watts and seeing as the Ryzen 5 3600 has a low tdp of 65 watts, I feel as though there should be ample enough power for it to pull from. However, I'm in no means an expert on how power draw works so it could be this.

DominicU1571

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
At 1440p, the 'bottleneck' shouldn't be bad at all. Understandably, you'll fall short of an overclocked 10900K .... but should be a nice enough pairing for 1440p.

I'm assuming you've removed old GPU drivers and installed the latest 'game-ready' driver for the 3080?
The latest drivers have been installed for the 3080, I'm gonna go ahead and have it do a completely fresh install to remove any residual from previous drivers that might remain, but to my knowledge, there shouldn't be any. I will check back with any differences once I do this.

Edit after clean installation of drivers: No noticeable differences, did a Far Cry 5 benchmark run and the results were the same as prior benchmark runs with only slight variance that normally exists between individual runs. The same issues are occurring where the average fps is falling around 40-50 frames lower than other 3080 systems and the maximum fps never even reaching the average framerate of other 3080 systems (maximum fps is capping out around 140 where averages of other systems are averaging 150+ fps). I still do not know why this might be the case outside of a severe case of bottleneck but even then, given that I'm running at 1440p, there shouldn't be such a large discrepancy.

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
To sanity check, you could try running the game in 4K, lessening the load on your CPU, and compare vs 4K benchmarks from reliable reviewers.

Keep an eye on driver versions used in benchmarks too - Typically newer drivers will improve performance, but for select titles the inverse could be true.

DominicU1571

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
To sanity check, you could try running the game in 4K, lessening the load on your CPU, and compare vs 4K benchmarks from reliable reviewers.

Keep an eye on driver versions used in benchmarks too - Typically newer drivers will improve performance, but for select titles the inverse could be true.
After trying the benchmark at 4k and comparing my results at 4k and 1440p to review sites such as EuroGamer, GPU Check, TheFPSReview, and LegitReviews, It seems that the gap closes quite a bit while running the benchmark at 4k with my pc having an average of about 10fps less than all the previously mentioned sites at 4k. However, the large discrepancy still exists at 1440p where all of the sites mentioned before were having about 40-50+ higher average fps while also having average fps that is higher than my maximum fps. The only difference I could see from my system to other systems is the CPU, which could explain the difference, but for such a large discrepancy between systems to exist based seemingly only on a difference of CPUs seems a bit absurd especially considering that the load on the CPU should be somewhat lightened at 1440p.