Question Undervolting CPU & GPU on a laptop ?

Jun 5, 2023
Does anyone have the same laptop model that I am using? If you undervolted yours, can I ask what settings and software that you are using to lower my GPU & CPU, increase FPS or a stable FPS for gaming ?Thank you :)

Acer Predator PH315-51 Laptop
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2208 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

May 29, 2023
I'm currently using a similar model! To undervolt, I've found ThrottleStop for the CPU and MSI Afterburner for the GPU to be quite reliable. For the CPU, I've set the voltage offset to around -125mV, but it varies, so do test for stability. On the GPU side, I used the voltage/frequency curve editor in Afterburner to undervolt. Just remember, every chip is unique so results may differ.

Jun 5, 2023
I'm currently using a similar model! To undervolt, I've found ThrottleStop for the CPU and MSI Afterburner for the GPU to be quite reliable. For the CPU, I've set the voltage offset to around -125mV, but it varies, so do test for stability. On the GPU side, I used the voltage/frequency curve editor in Afterburner to undervolt. Just remember, every chip is unique so results may differ.
would you mind giving me your screenshots/short video about your throttlestop and MSI afterburner settings. I am completely new to this undervolting stuff, so I am finding similar model to mine so that I can copy all the settings that I needed to lower my GPU and CPU temp. Thank you for your respond btw, it is my first time here. this helps alot.

Update! I just downloaded the ThrottleStop & MSI Afterburner, and this is the default setting of the said software, and I don't know what to do at this point.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1iXhwQm-xhURKhOzUcnes2RjSlFX1iDac?usp=sharing

Last edited:
May 29, 2023
In ThrottleStop, you'd typically want to adjust the offset voltage in the "FIVR" control. Start with -100mV for the CPU Core and CPU Cache, then gradually increase the offset (in -5mV or -10mV increments) while testing for stability.
In MSI Afterburner, you'll use the voltage/frequency curve editor. Lower the points on the curve to reduce voltage while maintaining the same frequency.
This is the video I used myself to get more info.

Jun 5, 2023
In ThrottleStop, you'd typically want to adjust the offset voltage in the "FIVR" control. Start with -100mV for the CPU Core and CPU Cache, then gradually increase the offset (in -5mV or -10mV increments) while testing for stability.
In MSI Afterburner, you'll use the voltage/frequency curve editor. Lower the points on the curve to reduce voltage while maintaining the same frequency.
Thank you!, I will check it out.

Jun 5, 2023
Thank you!, I will check it out.
Question
I will only adjust the game and battery section? I only adjust the CPU Core and CPU Cache. I adjusted the game turbo ratio limits to 24 and the battery turbo ratio limits to the lowest which for my system model was 22. When should I stopped adjusting the offset voltage of battery and game section? until there's an error when I am using TSBench for testing?

is this normal there was no offset voltage shown in the chart, even I adjusted the offset voltage

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tl1LsGTnA7tXdq7D6nU0WYQqJuMdWyPX/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
May 29, 2023
You typically want to adjust the offset voltage once you start experiencing instability or errors during your TSBench tests.

As for the offset voltage not showing in the chart, it could be due to various reasons. One possibility could be that the monitoring tool you're using might not be able to display the offset voltage properly. You might want to check if there's an update available for the tool or try using a different one.

Finally, for the game and battery sections, these are generally less critical to adjust unless you're specifically looking to optimize for those scenarios. If you're only gaming, for example, you might not need to worry as much about the battery section.

Jun 5, 2023
You typically want to adjust the offset voltage once you start experiencing instability or errors during your TSBench tests.

As for the offset voltage not showing in the chart, it could be due to various reasons. One possibility could be that the monitoring tool you're using might not be able to display the offset voltage properly. You might want to check if there's an update available for the tool or try using a different one.

Finally, for the game and battery sections, these are generally less critical to adjust unless you're specifically looking to optimize for those scenarios. If you're only gaming, for example, you might not need to worry as much about the battery section.
okay okay I've made it to -130 (for now) offset voltage core and cache only in gaming section i reset the battery section and uncheck the adjustable offset voltage in battery section so I only focus on game section. Do i need to adjust the turbo ratio limits in game section or I will let it stay in default set?

Question: How about in TPL besides the FIVR, what do I need to do in that section?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RHQRGgUAJKYpPDh4N__8cMU8JQN3NXXy/view?usp=sharing

Update # 1: I set my offset voltage -125, I am done I think this is my sweet spot for my system model because whenever I tried to set it up, it freezed in a minute.

Update # 2: isn't normal that when I am TS Benching CPU temperature goes to 96 degree even I undervolt the game section to -125 cache/core, It felt like nothing has changed?

Last edited:
May 29, 2023
Regarding the TPL settings, they're typically less critical for gaming and more for fine-tuning power limits, so you might not need to adjust much there.

As for the turbo ratio limits in the game section, leaving them at default is generally okay unless you're chasing specific performance targets or facing thermal issues.

About your TS Bench temps, hitting 96 degrees does seem a bit high, but it can depend on your system's cooling solution, ambient temps, and the load on the CPU during the test. If you're consistently seeing high temps though, you might want to look into improving your cooling setup.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jun 5, 2023
okay okay I've made it to 130 (for now) offset voltage core and cache only in gaming section i reset the battery section and uncheck the adjustable offset voltage in battery section so I only focus on game section. Do i need to adjust the turbo ratio limits in game section or I will let it stay in default set?

Regarding the TPL settings, they're typically less critical for gaming and more for fine-tuning power limits, so you might not need to adjust much there.

As for the turbo ratio limits in the game section, leaving them at default is generally okay unless you're chasing specific performance targets or facing thermal issues.

About your TS Bench temps, hitting 96 degrees does seem a bit high, but it can depend on your system's cooling solution, ambient temps, and the load on the CPU during the test. If you're consistently seeing high temps though, you might want to look into improving your cooling setup.
Despair. I don't know what to do now. I think I will wait until I can finally buy a better laptop when I can afford it, Anyway thanks for the help. I appreciated the effort/time that you did. Have a nice day :)

Reactions: DelenaСhelsiecain
@0name

Your ThrottleStop screenshot shows that Windows 11 Virtualization Based Security is enabled. You cannot use ThrottleStop to undervolt your CPU when VBS is enabled. You need to disable VBS including core isolation memory integrity if you want to lower your CPU voltage. After you do this, reboot, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and start again. Post an updated screenshot of the FIVR window. You should not be seeing a bunch of odd ball numbers like 0.3799 in the voltage table. That means VBS is still enabled.

https://beebom.com/how-disable-virtualization-based-security-vbs-windows-11/

Your cooling system is not adequate at the moment. When was the last time you opened up your laptop to clean it out? You need to blow out any dust and debris. If that does not improve cooling then you will also need to replace the thermal paste. Honeywell PTM7950 is a good choice for laptops.

Last edited: