Question Undervolting/Overclocking 5800x

Oct 31, 2022
Hello everyone, I have recently installed my Ryzen 7 5800X cooled by a Noctua NH-D15 from my prevoius build. Performance wise all good.
I noticed some difference in terms of temps compared to my previous cpu, the I5 9600K, I am aware i can't expect same temperatures between the two but I'll share my experience which is the reason I would like to dive into undervolting my 5800x.
I imagine is nothing to be worried about, I heard that 45/50°c during midium workload and 65/70°c while gaming is the sweetspot for the 5800x, which is exactly the temperature I detected in these days but still, some may disagree and I'll be happy to pay attention.
In any case, I do believe that trying to reduce my temps by doing some undervolting and possibily gaining a bit more performance is a smart choice.
Cool at this point I have done some undervolting to my 3060ti with msi afterburner nothing crazy just saw some tutorials and I effectivly benefited from it, I managed to overclock my old i5 back in time without any problem but I am not sure about ryzen and this new mobo.
I saw the ryzen master software and it seemed something interesting to me that would like just a bit of tweak without really messing around that much, what do you think about it? guides out there didn't seemed really on poiunt to me from people that goes in to bios first to allow certain changes and others that only use the software and that's it.

Let me know what you guys think about appriciate any answer ;)

zx128k

Reputable
There is no need for you to do anything. Yes your system will run a little bit faster but its not worth the effort. You have a RTX 3060 TI and its the bottleneck. The power reduction will be small and you will still be GPU limited.

If you just want to mess around with your PC, then get ready for lots of stress testing. You need to undervolt and test each voltage reduction on the v/f curve.

Oct 31, 2022
There is no need for you to do anything. Yes your system will run a little bit faster but its not worth the effort. You have a RTX 3060 TI and its the bottleneck. The power reduction will be small and you will still be GPU limited.

If you just want to mess around with your PC, then get ready for lots of stress testing. You need to undervolt and test each voltage reduction on the v/f curve.
Are you saying that the cpu temps are higher becouse of the bottleneck?
I didn't know that bottleneck could cause higher temp, anyway I have to say that so far I am not facing that much of an issue about being gpu limited honestly, I have two monitors one 4k and the other fullhd and with the i5 I had a pritty bad experience of course but with this R7 I can't really notice being gpu limited, I'm sure I am but if we are talking about 10fps I can live with it you know

zx128k

Reputable
Are you saying that the cpu temps are higher becouse of the bottleneck?
I didn't know that bottleneck could cause higher temp, anyway I have to say that so far I am not facing that much of an issue about being gpu limited honestly, I have two monitors one 4k and the other fullhd and with the i5 I had a pritty bad experience of course but with this R7 I can't really notice being gpu limited, I'm sure I am but if we are talking about 10fps I can live with it you know
Nope all I'm saying is you are going to spend a lot of time for little benefit.

Reactions: Haracarlo
Here's what you'll have to go through to do an undervolt:
  • Use PBO Curve Optimizer, not the voltage settings itself
  • Start at an all core offset of -5
  • Run a CPU benchmark like Cinebench R23
  • If it passes, reduce the offset by -5.
  • Repeat until the computer crashes
  • You can either use the last setting that worked, or use a little less. Either way, run the benchmark to make sure
  • If you really want to optimize
    • Figure out the processor's 1st and 2nd preferred core (you can use Ryzen Master or HWiNFO to figure this out)
    • Reduce the offset of the non-preferred cores, benchmark the CPU, repeat until the computer crashes
It's a lot of tedious work. And this is just to get it undervolted on the base clock settings.

In any case, there's a ton of opinions on what temperature a processor should be at, but there's only one real fact: as long as it's under the maximum operating temperature and it's not running below base clock, it's fine. Do whatever helps you sleep better at night.

Reactions: Haracarlo
Oct 31, 2022
Here's what you'll have to go through to do an undervolt:
  • Use PBO Curve Optimizer, not the voltage settings itself
  • Start at an all core offset of -5
  • Run a CPU benchmark like Cinebench R23
  • If it passes, reduce the offset by -5.
  • Repeat until the computer crashes
  • You can either use the last setting that worked, or use a little less. Either way, run the benchmark to make sure
  • If you really want to optimize
    • Figure out the processor's 1st and 2nd preferred core (you can use Ryzen Master or HWiNFO to figure this out)
    • Reduce the offset of the non-preferred cores, benchmark the CPU, repeat until the computer crashes
It's a lot of tedious work. And this is just to get it undervolted on the base clock settings.

In any case, there's a ton of opinions on what temperature a processor should be at, but there's only one real fact: as long as it's under the maximum operating temperature and it's not running below base clock, it's fine. Do whatever helps you sleep better at night.
Uoo, that seems like a lot of work to do, I do not think I'm ready at this point so fair enaugh I'll leave it as it is for now and I'll keep monitoring temps as always, appriciate your detailed answer thought!

Last edited: