yonatankes

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016
Hello everyone i bought this gaming laptop a few months ago and i have been using it and had absolutely no issues with it but when i checked the health of its hard drive it told be it was critical and i thought maybe it could just be a mistake or something and i shrugged it off untill now a few minutes ago where my computer blue screened and after it restarted my D: drive which is the one that had the problem is not detected by my laptop and only my SSD C: drive is showing up, im really worried that i cant recover it because i had a ton of files and games on the drive and i have nothing else to store my stuff on except the ssd which is tiny in storage capacity and almost full, can i fix this somehow?

Solution
Likely not.

It warned you that it was in bad health, and now it isn't detected. The only way to save data, is to proactively back it up. Applications are easy, they can just be reinstalled, if the drive has completely died (which it certainly sounds like it has_) your best bet is to try it in another system, after that it's professional data recovery (which is incredibly expensive).

However if you inform the seller, they may be liable to some refund / compensation if it is a new laptop. If it was used, then same as above statement.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Likely not.

It warned you that it was in bad health, and now it isn't detected. The only way to save data, is to proactively back it up. Applications are easy, they can just be reinstalled, if the drive has completely died (which it certainly sounds like it has_) your best bet is to try it in another system, after that it's professional data recovery (which is incredibly expensive).

However if you inform the seller, they may be liable to some refund / compensation if it is a new laptop. If it was used, then same as above statement.

Solution

yonatankes

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016
Likely not.

i had a ton of important files on it but i have no money to do that data recovery stuff, is there any way for me to force it to activate again or something?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
i had a ton of important files on it but i have no money to do that data recovery stuff, is there any way for me to force it to activate again or something?
There is no forcing of activation. If it's damaged, there is no software solution.
Best bet is to remove it and try it on another system to verify it's not the SATA port for example.

Unfortunately, this is why backups are so important.

yonatankes

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016
There is no forcing of activation. If it's damaged, there is no software solution.
Best bet is to remove it and try it on another system to verify it's not the SATA port for example.

Unfortunately, this is why backups are so important.
a little weird, after a few days i turned on my laptop after it was sleeping to use it for some other things and when it turned it it said "D: select what happens with removable drive" as if its a USB stick being plugged in and when i checked the drive is suddenly working again? i think it might stop working again but idk what is going on anymore

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
a little weird, after a few days i turned on my laptop after it was sleeping to use it for some other things and when it turned it it said "D: select what happens with removable drive" as if its a USB stick being plugged in and when i checked the drive is suddenly working again? i think it might stop working again but idk what is going on anymore
That can be indicative of the drive failing or the SATA port failing. I would go back to my earlier point
Best bet is to remove it and try it on another system to verify