Unknown Beeping - please suggest what this could be

My self-built system every so often starts emitting a series of beeps.
It is a continuous stream of high-low-high-low tones, sort of solid
versions of British police cars. BEE boo BEE boo BEE boo.

I'm not sure what could be causing it, and I don't even know where it
is coming from!

The only thing I could imagine is something is detecting too high
temperature, which is not good, seeing as I have 2 120mm fans, plus
the CPU fan, plus the power supply fan!

Maybe someone could suggest based on my components, what could be
doing it.

PS usually the sounds go away after about 30 seconds or so.

System:

Tyan S5101 Trinity i875P motherboard (on-board audio and LAN).
Antec Sonata case with 380 watt TruePower power supply.
1 GB Crucial RAM.
ATI RADEON 9600 XT video with 128 MB RAM.
Western Digital 80 GB UltraATA Hard Drive
Floppy Drive
Plextor Plexwriter 52/24/52.

My thoughts are it really has got to be either the motherboard, the
video card, or by some weird chance they actually built in a beep
system, the case or power supply.

Anyone else experience this ever?

TIA.

---Atreju---

Check options for fan monitoring in the BIOS, it may be that one option in
the BIOS is set to make that alarm sound if the fan speed drops below X
rpms. If no fan is attached to the pins on the motherboard then the alarm
will sound.
Hope that helps
Mark

"Atreju" <someone@who.hates.junkmail> wrote in message
> My self-built system every so often starts emitting a series of beeps.
> It is a continuous stream of high-low-high-low tones, sort of solid
> versions of British police cars. BEE boo BEE boo BEE boo.
>
> I'm not sure what could be causing it, and I don't even know where it
> is coming from!
>
> The only thing I could imagine is something is detecting too high
> temperature, which is not good, seeing as I have 2 120mm fans, plus
> the CPU fan, plus the power supply fan!
>
> Maybe someone could suggest based on my components, what could be
> doing it.
>
> PS usually the sounds go away after about 30 seconds or so.
>
> System:
>
> Tyan S5101 Trinity i875P motherboard (on-board audio and LAN).
> Antec Sonata case with 380 watt TruePower power supply.
> 1 GB Crucial RAM.
> ATI RADEON 9600 XT video with 128 MB RAM.
> Western Digital 80 GB UltraATA Hard Drive
> Floppy Drive
> Plextor Plexwriter 52/24/52.
>
> My thoughts are it really has got to be either the motherboard, the
> video card, or by some weird chance they actually built in a beep
> system, the case or power supply.
>
> Anyone else experience this ever?
>
> TIA.
>

> ---Atreju---

Could be system temp warning, check your bios settings and raise the
warning level.

PT

"Mark H" <NOSPAMhollandr@swiftdsl.com.au> wrote in message
> Check options for fan monitoring in the BIOS, it may be that one option in
> the BIOS is set to make that alarm sound if the fan speed drops below X
> rpms. If no fan is attached to the pins on the motherboard then the alarm
> will sound.
> Hope that helps
> Mark
>
> "Atreju" <someone@who.hates.junkmail> wrote in message
> > My self-built system every so often starts emitting a series of beeps.
> > It is a continuous stream of high-low-high-low tones, sort of solid
> > versions of British police cars. BEE boo BEE boo BEE boo.
> >
> > I'm not sure what could be causing it, and I don't even know where it
> > is coming from!
> >
> > The only thing I could imagine is something is detecting too high
> > temperature, which is not good, seeing as I have 2 120mm fans, plus
> > the CPU fan, plus the power supply fan!
> >
> > Maybe someone could suggest based on my components, what could be
> > doing it.
> >
> > PS usually the sounds go away after about 30 seconds or so.
> >
> > System:
> >
> > Tyan S5101 Trinity i875P motherboard (on-board audio and LAN).
> > Antec Sonata case with 380 watt TruePower power supply.
> > 1 GB Crucial RAM.
> > ATI RADEON 9600 XT video with 128 MB RAM.
> > Western Digital 80 GB UltraATA Hard Drive
> > Floppy Drive
> > Plextor Plexwriter 52/24/52.
> >
> > My thoughts are it really has got to be either the motherboard, the
> > video card, or by some weird chance they actually built in a beep
> > system, the case or power supply.
> >
> > Anyone else experience this ever?
> >
> > TIA.
> >

> > ---Atreju---

SNIP

Looks like it is a temp warning. Seems fishy that the temp should get
so high. Might be time to call the power supply manufacturer. Got many
many fans in there.

---Atreju---

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Atreju <someone@who.hates.junkmail> wrote in message news:<n29h7052ob5n5g05s9b58ghj58uifpt6m3@4ax.com>...
> SNIP
>
> Looks like it is a temp warning. Seems fishy that the temp should get
> so high. Might be time to call the power supply manufacturer. Got many
> many fans in there.
>

> ---Atreju---

I must have missed what CPU you have in the machine. Anyways, CPU's
have a standard operating temperature. Go to the CPU's manufactures
site and find out what nominal operating temperature is common for
your CPU. The site should also publish the MAX operating temperature.

Of cource, depending on your ambient room temperature, your typical
operating temperature should fall somewhere less than the MAX.

If you go into your BIOS, check out your CPU temperature with all
covers and fans in place.

If you home built this machine, hopefully, you didn't forget to apply
thermal paste.