Hello all,
When I try to run a scan, my program does very well at first but when it
reaches registry keys it says it has run out of virtual memory. It works on
that for a while and eventually slows down so much it stops running at all.
Eventually I see an error message (0xc0000017) Unknown Software exception
0x7c81eb33. I have tried running the scan many times and have not been
successful once. Can anyone help?

Malke

pqter wrote:

> Hello all,
> When I try to run a scan, my program does very well at first but when
> it
> reaches registry keys it says it has run out of virtual memory. It
> works on that for a while and eventually slows down so much it stops
> running at all. Eventually I see an error message (0xc0000017) Unknown
> Software exception
> 0x7c81eb33. I have tried running the scan many times and have not
> been
> successful once. Can anyone help?

What program (name and version and if an antivirus whether the virus
definitions are current)?

If you are trying to do an antivirus scan, make sure you are doing it in
Safe Mode. Alternately, try scanning with Sysclean to start with (also
in Safe Mode). Instructions for getting into Safe Mode and using
Sysclean here:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear in my first message. I downloaded Microsoft
Antispyware Beta Version and can't get through the first scan. Will the
information you indicated below work in this instance?

"Malke" wrote:

> pqter wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> > When I try to run a scan, my program does very well at first but when
> > it
> > reaches registry keys it says it has run out of virtual memory. It
> > works on that for a while and eventually slows down so much it stops
> > running at all. Eventually I see an error message (0xc0000017) Unknown
> > Software exception
> > 0x7c81eb33. I have tried running the scan many times and have not
> > been
> > successful once. Can anyone help?
>
> What program (name and version and if an antivirus whether the virus
> definitions are current)?
>
> If you are trying to do an antivirus scan, make sure you are doing it in
> Safe Mode. Alternately, try scanning with Sysclean to start with (also
> in Safe Mode). Instructions for getting into Safe Mode and using
> Sysclean here:
>
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

pqter wrote:

> I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear in my first message. I downloaded
> Microsoft
> Antispyware Beta Version and can't get through the first scan. Will
> the information you indicated below work in this instance?

I believe that MSAS will be a good program, but it is still in Beta.
Beta software means the program is not in final form but is still in
the bug-checking phase. I would definitely go through the malware
removal steps in my previous links if you feel your computer is
infected, at least with Ad-aware and Spybot. If you don't have an
antivirus installed, go through the whole shebang. Otherwise, post your
questions about MSAS in one of the newsgroups set up specifically for
that program. Here are links:

At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows
AntiSpyware is being provided through the following Microsoft
newsgroups:

- microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP. To access these
newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following location:

http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following
information for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):

- NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
- Account name: privatenews\spyware
- Password: spyware

NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"

Thanks so much for everything! You were very helpful.

"Malke" wrote:

> pqter wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear in my first message. I downloaded
> > Microsoft
> > Antispyware Beta Version and can't get through the first scan. Will
> > the information you indicated below work in this instance?
> >
> I believe that MSAS will be a good program, but it is still in Beta.
> Beta software means the program is not in final form but is still in
> the bug-checking phase. I would definitely go through the malware
> removal steps in my previous links if you feel your computer is
> infected, at least with Ad-aware and Spybot. If you don't have an
> antivirus installed, go through the whole shebang. Otherwise, post your
> questions about MSAS in one of the newsgroups set up specifically for
> that program. Here are links:
>
> At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows
> AntiSpyware is being provided through the following Microsoft
> newsgroups:
>
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity
>
> These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP. To access these
> newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following location:
>
> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
>
> To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following
> information for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):
>
> - NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
> - Account name: privatenews\spyware
> - Password: spyware
>
> NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke

pqter wrote:

> Thanks so much for everything! You were very helpful.

My pleasure. Good luck.

Malke