sparkle_ftw

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
I have an x2 550, unlocked both cores. How do I switch it back? I unlocked it too soon and now I can't tell the difference, also tf2 runs funny.

soshow2009

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
What a strange trouble it is .Every hopes their PC can run as soon as possible .
I can't figure out why U don't hopt to .
Anyway,Did u see the battery on the mobo.take it out and put it back after 5mins.
It's the easiest way of restoring to default setting.
PS:be careful of getting out the battery.please don't hurt the mobo.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Do what was stated already if you haven't already. When it "shows" as still a quad core is do you have 4 cores still running or is cpu-z or whatnot just still saying its the b50. I am not sure how the id of these cpus works at stock vs unlocked vs de-unlocked so to say.

From what I know about this a cleared default BIOS must return the cpu back to a dual core.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
@djcoolmaster: thats wrong. please stop posting stuff liek that. i have a 550 unlcoked to a quad. its not defective at all. AMD desable cores to fill a market gap. they cant sell quads if no one will buy them, so if they have people willing to buy duo's, they will make some money selling them that way. simple business practice, you can only sell when there is demand.

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
As all these Duals start off as Quads. It is not at all cost effetive to make Quads then disable half of it. If they are not defective they could sell them as Quads for exactly the same price, completly undermining intel's dual core range. They don't do this however as these chips do not meet AMDs own quality standards. Meaning that during testing these cores were found to fail under certain conditions. You may never be able to reproduce these failures in real life applications but it can be indicative of the quality of the chip.

By all means try it if you have a 550 X2 but don't ever buy one expecting it to unlock into a fully functional Quad core. And if you do unlock remember to test it thoroughly so that you are sure it is completely stable otherwise you will probably run into problems like the OP's.

sparkle_ftw

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Nevermind. It froze again, so I switched it back to a dual core. Then it froze again. Although switching the voltage made seem like it happened less often, they appear to be completely random.
Either it is broken, or it is some other component, any suggestions on what it'd be? No bsod's, just frozen with temporary looping sound.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
are you new to OCing. freezing is common when you dont have the right voltage. start again form square one. make sure every change oyu make is followed bya stress test. if it crashes during the stredd test, up the voltage and try agian.

it sounds like you have no idea what you're doing. i dont mean to sound like an ass, but if you are just unlocking and OCing without making sure your hardware is stable, you will damage something.

G

Hey I would like to test stability of my just unlocked be 550 with prime95. So what test should I run: Small FFTs, In-place large FFTs or blend? :O

While what you say is true to begin with you also have to realize that there are people on certain budgets that will pay certain prices for a system and if AMD does not provide a chip in that price range then they will lose sales and profit - so in order to fill demand for a low cost dual core they will at time lock 2 cores on perfectly good chips to fill the demand for those chips (as you said it costs them the same amount to do this as making a quad core BUT it also costs them less to do this and disable the 2 good cores than it would to retool the entire line and manufacture true dual cores and by doing this they fill the demand for the chip at the price point the low end buyer is willing to pay so they sell more chips and make more profit (better to sell a $100 chip than to lose a sale to your competitor because you want to sell that same chip at $160 which the low end consumer will not pay and will instead buy from your competitor.

ALso the percentage of 550's and 720's that are in fact true functional quads will increase with the life of the chip line as the manufacturing process is perfected and fewer errors arise in production - Sure there are always those defective core chips in the mix so you can not buy the chip expecting that it will be stable when unlocked but there definitely is the possibility Otherwise why would the MOBO manufacturers include the HYBRID option in the BIOS to be able to enable these cores if in fact there was Zero liklihood of them being stable ??