Question Unstable network connections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2020
Hello, I use OBS to stream to twitch.tv this past month and a half I have been getting lots of unstable connection errors when trying to stream. I get lots of dropped frames and sometimes OBS disconnects from Twitch. Below I have the common errors shown from my logs.
I have been dealing with this issue for a month now. Keep getting
16:38:05.004: WriteN, RTMP send error 10054 (334 bytes)
16:38:05.004: WriteN, RTMP send error 10054 (98 bytes)
16:38:05.004: WriteN, RTMP send error 10038 (42 bytes)
16:38:05.004: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Disconnected from rtmp://live-lax.twitch.tv/app
16:38:05.004: Output 'adv_stream': stopping
16:38:05.004: Output 'adv_stream': Total frames output: 7338 (7799 attempted)
16:38:05.004: Output 'adv_stream': Total drawn frames: 7855
16:38:05.004: Output 'adv_stream': Number of dropped frames due to insufficient bandwidth/connection stalls: 461 (5.9%).

Try this steps:
  • Auto-configuration wizard : Select "Optimize for streaming, recording is secondary"
  • Settings --> Stream : Try select another server, it may not find the one closest to your location.
  • Settings --> Output, stream tab : Try rescale output to a lower resolution and also lower the bitrate (rescale alone would probably not help).
  • You may also try to lower the bit rate of sound.

Sep 4, 2020
Try this steps:
  • Auto-configuration wizard : Select "Optimize for streaming, recording is secondary"
  • Settings --> Stream : Try select another server, it may not find the one closest to your location.
  • Settings --> Output, stream tab : Try rescale output to a lower resolution and also lower the bitrate (rescale alone would probably not help).
  • You may also try to lower the bit rate of sound.
Thank you for responding. I have done a new profile and adjusted as you described. I have lowered bitrate and lowered both audio and res. I have attempted to connect to many servers. I do believe this issue is not end user related.

I haven't used twitch.tv myself, so I can't come up with additional ideas regarding the issue.
One workaround would probably be to store the recording at a local drive, and after that you'd upload.

Another would be to try to see if it in fact is a problem with your network/internet connection. Are you alone on the connection, or does other people use it (as being occupied by torrent downloads or similar use) ?

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, I use OBS to stream to twitch.tv this past month and a half I have been getting lots of unstable connection errors when trying to stream. I get lots of dropped frames and sometimes OBS disconnects from Twitch. Below I have the common errors shown from my logs.
I have been dealing with this issue for a month now. Keep getting
16:38:05.004: WriteN, RTMP send error 10054 (334 bytes)
16:38:05.004: WriteN, RTMP send error 10054 (98 bytes)
16:38:05.004: WriteN, RTMP send error 10038 (42 bytes)
16:38:05.004: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Disconnected from rtmp://live-lax.twitch.tv/app
16:38:05.004: Output 'adv_stream': stopping
16:38:05.004: Output 'adv_stream': Total frames output: 7338 (7799 attempted)
16:38:05.004: Output 'adv_stream': Total drawn frames: 7855
16:38:05.004: Output 'adv_stream': Number of dropped frames due to insufficient bandwidth/connection stalls: 461 (5.9%).
First question, is what upload bandwidth are you paying for? Are you actually using ALL that bandwidth?

Sep 4, 2020
First question, is what upload bandwidth are you paying for? Are you actually using ALL that bandwidth?
I have 10 up. I have set my bitrate numerous times well below my upload capacity. 10 up is about 7k bits if you factor the 75% rule. Im testing at around 1k bits and a variety around that figure. This issue will happen no matter the time of day or night. It can be 10 mins into the stream or 3 hours. This has been happening for well over a month.

Seems other have had issues as well.

Do you have latest version of OBS ?

If you google for "obs studio unstable connection errors" you should find some youtube videos that may help. Please share if you happens to find a solution.

Sep 4, 2020
Seems other have had issues as well.

Do you have latest version of OBS ?

If you google for "obs studio unstable connection errors" you should find some youtube videos that may help. Please share if you happens to find a solution.
Yes it is current version. I saw a lot of other posts. The one you are showing here seems to only be Twitch. I had same frame drop issues using and streaming to restream as well as youtube. I have been scouring forums and videos for days on end. I am not sure about the above poster, but I am fairly certain it is ISP, regardless if the first few ppl say everything seems fine. They are looking at total internet, not specific problems in RTMP.

Sep 4, 2020
You could find a service like speedtest.net and maybe you're able to use a screen copy of this page as a documentation to your provider if it turns out to be the issue.
The speed tests normally stay the same. Our download speed has dropped a bit but the upload is constant. This is some sort of purposeful throttling. At least this is my working theory until it gets dis-proven. I am gonna borrow a friends computer to see if his registers the same errors. This will help me determine and rule out my end. Thanks for the replies. If you come up with any data or similar problems, please update me here. I am attacking this like a cold case lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.