Question Unstable System: mini -Freezes, Crashes, can't find the Problem

Oct 15, 2020
Hello guys, i really need help from some people who know more about computers than i do.
First of all, sorry if my english isn't the best, i'm not a native speaker, but i really need help with this. It drives me crazy.

The Problem:
I have random mini freezes and stutters in my system. They occur completely at random (sometimes hours apart) for like 2 seconds at a time. It feels like the whole system goes to 1 frame per second, even the audio bugs out, then its over and everything is back to normal.
It happens during games and during youtube videos. i don't know if it happens in idle, because i only notice it due to the audio problems, but it definetely isn't only an audio problem.
Also my pc simply rebooted (happened only once today), no crashdump. But i got an entry in event viewer that said something WHEA Logger (event id 18).

About a month ago i had problems with bluescreens (nostokrnl.exe was always the cause) as well as the freezes, but after a BIOS update i didn't have any BSODs.

Reproduction:
Just today after a clean windows install and reinstalling stuff i managed to reproduce the error for the first time since i noticed them (about 4 months ago). When i start or stop a download (e.g. Age of Empires 3) in the xbox app on pc the minifreezes happen. The stuttering/freezes don't happen when i download anything from steam or elsewhere. This is the only reliable way to produce the error, otherwise it seems completely random.

Edit:

View: https://youtu.be/xpXiEMXIUoA
<- unlisted recording of the error

My System:
I bought the PC from a seller, where i configurated the pc, but they built it and shipped it to me. The system is about 9 months old now.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X - 6x 3,8GHz 32MB L3-Cache AM4
Cooler: Be Quiet! Pure Rock
RAM: 32GB, DDR4-3200, Corsair Vengeance LPX DIMM Kit CL16 (2x 16GB - Dual Channel)
GPU: Palit GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB
Motherboard: Asus Prime B450M-A
PSU: 730Watt Xilence Performance
SSD: Biostar SSD S-ATA III 512GB
HDD: Seagate 3.5 S-ATA III 2000GB HDD
Drive: Asus DVD RW+- S-ATA 24x Drive/Burner
Case: AZZA Photios 250 Gaming Tower
Internet is connected via Ethernet cable.

Everything on stock setting, no OC

Temperatures don't seem to be the problem, i haven't found any evidence of my system becoming too hot.

Troubleshooting:
Okay, i've already tried quite a few things. I have one big problem: i don't just have a lot of computer parts lying around. So it is not easy for me to just swap out a different GPU or CPU or even RAM to try stuff, so i'd appreciate it if someon could help me to at least narrow down probable causes so i can contact the seller and maybe get a replacement (i have a warranty of 3 years on the whole system).

What i tried:
Memtest86+ (took a fkn looong time with 32 gig) 3 passes - 0 errors

chkdsk /f/r on both the HDD & SSD - no errors

Changed the powersetting to never turn of drive #2 - no change, still freezing/stuttering

Tried changing RAM speeds in bios 2333 hz & 3200 hz - no change

Tried unplugging the HDD - no change, still freezing/stuttering

After getting BSODs, where nostokrn.exe was the problem i updated my BIOS - BSODs are gone, still stuttering/freezing

I reseated and reapplied thermal paste to my cpu (was desperate, temps were always OK) - no change

sfc /scannow with a dism.exe image - no errors found

Updated all drivers i could think of - still stuttering/freezes

safe windows install with complete wipe of both drives - still stuttering/freezes

WPR:
after being able to reproduce the error i made a recording with Windows Performance Recorder, i started the WPR and produced the Error multiple times in a 70s time window. I wanted to share that here, but that file is almost 2 gb in size.
I tried looking at it with the performance analyzer, but that just showed me how little i know about computers. I'd be happy to share screenshots of it if someone knows what i need to look at.

Wits end:
That brings me here, to you guys. I don't know what to do. It somehow feels like a CPU problem, but i don't have another processor around to test it. Also i'm quite certain that if i send my PC back to the seller 1 of 2 things will happen: 1: they say they couldn't find the problem or 2: they say they fixed it, but the problem will still be there, i just wasted 4 weeks on sending the pc on a round trip.

Anyone have any tips on what to try? Someone have an idea what to look at from the WPR data?

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm going to bed now, but i'll be back tomorrow and respond to all answers. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020
So guys, using windows game bar i made a recording of the error. It sounds a little different on my end, but you will get the gist of it.

View: https://youtu.be/xpXiEMXIUoA
<- unlisted recording of the error

What i did:
I let a video play in background of a constant tone and started starting and stopping a download to produce the error.
(you cant see the download window, because the windows game bar doesn't record the xbox app window)