Question Unsure of what to upgrade to.

Jun 9, 2019
Hi, I currently have a AMD fx-6350 and am looking to upgrade it. I was looking at getting a 8350 but have read to not get a CPU with a AM3 socket. Im unsure why I shouldn't get a CPU with a AM3 socket but if that's genuinely the case then I have no idea what the alternatives are. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

You would see basically no performance increase by moving to the 8350, even when it was new.
Its several generations old now, so if you want a real upgrade youll have to make a switch to a modern platform.

Ryzen+Mobo+DDR4 RAM would be the move to make.

Unless you are prepared to get a new motherboard, memory AND CPU, then you have no choice but to go with an AM3+ processor. And honestly, upgrading to an FX 8 core processor is probably a complete waste of money going from what you already have, which is at this point already very old, and very slow, and wasn't very good even when it was new.

What are your current FULL hardware specifications, what is it that you mainly DO with this computer and what is it that you are looking TO do with it?

Jun 9, 2019
Unless you are prepared to get a new motherboard, memory AND CPU, then you have no choice but to go with an AM3+ processor. And honestly, upgrading to an FX 8 core processor is probably a complete waste of money going from what you already have, which is at this point already very old, and very slow, and wasn't very good even when it was new.

What are your current FULL hardware specifications, what is it that you mainly DO with this computer and what is it that you are looking TO do with it?

motherboard- gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb
cpu- amd fx-6350
gpu- 1050ti
ram- 8gb

I have used this pc for the last 3 1/2 years for gaming and would like to continue gaming. Only thing I have changed is the gpu since I got it and the only reason im looking into this now is because my pc has started to get quite loud.

If noise is your issue, then you should replace the fan that's making it, or figure out why your computer is getting too hot.

I agree though. The FX platform was never a great choice. I wouldn't dump any more money into it.

Last edited:
I agree, if it's getting loud, and that is your only problem, not the actual performance, then you need to figure out why, not throw new parts at it. If the problem is the CPU cooler or a case fan, or the power supply fan, then new parts are not going to solve that unless it's the CPU cooler in which case a new platform would likely replace that, but it's a lot to spend just to fix a noise issue.

First thing you need to do is check the case fans to see if one of them is making the noise. Check the CPU cooler to see if the CPU cooler heatsink is packed with dust and lint. Check the PSU to see if it is full of crap. A flashlight would be useful. A couple of cans of compressed air from Walmart or wherever to blow out the heatsink and power supply might be all you need. Or an air compressor with at least 90psi. If you use an air compressor, be sure to not blast away at it. Use short bursts so you don't damage anything and do it from a foot or so away. With cans, you can pretty much get right up on it but you still want to use short bursts so you don't create condensation on anything.

Jun 9, 2019
I agree, if it's getting loud, and that is your only problem, not the actual performance, then you need to figure out why, not throw new parts at it. If the problem is the CPU cooler or a case fan, or the power supply fan, then new parts are not going to solve that unless it's the CPU cooler in which case a new platform would likely replace that, but it's a lot to spend just to fix a noise issue.

First thing you need to do is check the case fans to see if one of them is making the noise. Check the CPU cooler to see if the CPU cooler heatsink is packed with dust and lint. Check the PSU to see if it is full of crap. A flashlight would be useful. A couple of cans of compressed air from Walmart or wherever to blow out the heatsink and power supply might be all you need. Or an air compressor with at least 90psi. If you use an air compressor, be sure to not blast away at it. Use short bursts so you don't damage anything and do it from a foot or so away. With cans, you can pretty much get right up on it but you still want to use short bursts so you don't create condensation on anything.

Nah noise isn't the only issue, my cpu cant run many games. so I need to upgrade. but noise is also an issue. That was my bad miswording.

So, an upgrade to another FX processor isn't going to be worth much. It will literally be a waste of your money. How much do you think you could legitimately budget to throw at an upgrade of motherboard, CPU and memory if you had to? Or is that something you are even able to entertain as a possibility?

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017
Hi, I currently have a AMD fx-6350 and am looking to upgrade it. I was looking at getting a 8350 but have read to not get a CPU with a AM3 socket. Im unsure why I shouldn't get a CPU with a AM3 socket but if that's genuinely the case then I have no idea what the alternatives are. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.
I know userbenchmark isn't exactly the most robust benchmark but it gives a general idea of how the hardware compares:

FX-8350 vs FX-6350

Ryzen 5 2600 vs FX-6350

Early Sample Ryzen 5 3600(comes out in July) vs FX-6350

FX series CPUs weren't very good even when they were new, they were just a good value if you were on a tight budget. I definitely wouldn't recommend getting one in 2019.