Question Unusually high laptop CPU temps - during stress test stays at 100C and the fan keeps low rpms, is this normal?

povrdominik

Honorable
Dec 18, 2018
Hi guys,

I come to ask all of you a question about my gfs laptop. She has a Lenovo ideapad slim 5 14AHP9 with the AMD ryzen 5 8645hs. She has been having some issues with laggy games (sims 4, Lego stuff at default graphical settings) and once got a blue screen. I decided to check the temps with a stress test through Aida64 and cinebench.

The laptop runs all the time at full speeds without throttling, but at 100 degrees C at all times and the fan seems to be running quite slow. I wonder if this is considered normal? I understand it is a slim laptop designed to run quiet, but it is still strange to me, that even under 100% load it does not fight the temps more.

The laptop is still under warranty so i do not want to open it and check if everything is allright or change the thermal paste.

Do you have any thoughts or experience if this is normal?

Note that:
- the laptop and the vents are clean
- it runs the latest win 11 update
- it is on the latest bios
- all drivers are up to date

Thank you for your suggestions
Dominik

Lutfij

Titan
The laptop runs all the time at full speeds without throttling, but at 100 degrees C at all times and the fan seems to be running quite slow.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-5-8645HS-Processor-Benchmarks-and-Specs.780989.0.html
Processors from both Intel and AMD for the mobile platforms will run at those temps, this was unheard of a decade ago but now it's the norm.

She has a Lenovo ideapad slim 5 14AHP9 with the AMD ryzen 5 8645hs.
+
I understand it is a slim laptop designed to run quiet, but it is still strange to me, that even under 100% load it does not fight the temps more.
https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/IdeaPad/IdeaPad_Slim_5_14AHP9
It's not exactly a gaming laptop, rather something that digital creators would use that's on-the-go, something light and portable. Regardless, you can try and reinstall your chipset drivers, with drivers sourced from AMD's support site, in an elevated command. Following that, use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, Nvidia and AMD) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall with the latest GPU driver sourced from here.

povrdominik

Honorable
Dec 18, 2018
Nevermind, I installed the drivers and switched fan mode in the bios to “high performance” and now the fan does not work at all, even when I started a stress test it does nothing and throttles immediately.

I guess I will opt for a warranty claim

Last edited: