dekw04

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
Hi everyone.

I allowed Windows 10 to update, but now the taskbar icon that used to let me adjust my screen's brightness has disappeared. Each time I clicked on this icon in the past it opened up a little window. When I clicked on the brightness button icon on this little window, the screen would get 25% brighter each time I clicked on it.

After updating Windows 10 this last time, however, the taskbar icon that let me click on it to make my screen brighter has disappeared. Now, in order to adjust my screen's brightness by using the taskbar I have to right-click on the battery icon in the taskbar then click "Windows Mobility Center" and then I can adjust my screen's brightness that way.

I want to adjust my screen's brightness the way I was used to doing it. Personally, I hate how Windows took away a feature that I was accustomed to using against my will with this update and made adjusting my screen's brightness more complicated.

I want the button that used to be in my task bar (the one that allowed me to adjust my screen's brightness at intervals of 25%) back. Does anyone know how to make it so that I can have a button in my task bar that lets me click on it to adjust my screen's brightness?

Maybe there's a way to do it through the command prompt or maybe I could change some setting to get it to reappear? Maybe there's a third-party program that would restore this feature?

I did downloaded a third-party program (that works as a taskbar icon) that lets me adjust my screen's brightness with a slider, but I want to be able to adjust my screens brightness by clicking on a taskbar icon and clicking a virtual button the way I used to do it.

What that said, does anyone know how to make it so that I can have a button on my taskbar that lets me click on it to adjust my screen's brightness (as described above)?

Thank you.

P.S. In case I got the name wrong somehow, when I say "taskbar" what I mean is the area where there are little icons to the left of where the time on the lower right-hand corner of the screen is displayed.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
They moved it into the action centre as of 1903

Select action center on the right side of the taskbar, and then move the Brightness slider to adjust the brightness. (If the slider isn't there, see the Notes section below.)

• Some PCs can let Windows automatically adjust screen brightness based on the current lighting conditions. To find out if your PC supports this, go to Settings > System > Display. Under Brightness and color, look for the Change brightness automatically when lighting changes check box, and then select it to use this feature. This automatic setting helps make sure your screen is readable wherever you go. Even if you use it, you can still move the Change brightness for the built-in displayslider to fine-tune the brightness level.
  • Notes:
    • You might not see the Change brightness for the built-in display slider on desktop PCs that have an external monitor. To change the brightness on an external monitor, use the buttons on it.
    • The Brightness slider appears in action center in Windows 10, version 1903. To find the brightness slider in earlier versions of Windows 10, select Settings > System > Display, and then move the Change brightness slider to adjust the brightness.
    • If you don't have a desktop PC and the slider doesn't appear or work, try updating the display driver. In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results. In Device Manager, select Display adapters, then select the display adapter. Press and hold (or right-click) the display adapter name, then select Update driver and follow the instructions.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026946/windows-10-change-screen-brightness