**FYI: Not an Advertisement

Zone Alarm has posted a new release of Version 6.0 (60.667.0) Free
on their website. Installation process has changed a little. Be careful to
select upgrade, to preserve existing settings and the choice between
the Free version and pro is laid out a little different. Will require a boot
to complete the install/update.

Why the new version of 6.0? Is it going to fix all the problems with the
current 6.0?

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> **FYI: Not an Advertisement
>
> Zone Alarm has posted a new release of Version 6.0 (60.667.0) Free
> on their website. Installation process has changed a little. Be careful to
> select upgrade, to preserve existing settings and the choice between
> the Free version and pro is laid out a little different. Will require a
> boot
> to complete the install/update.

Pro has got a lot of issues and Zone Labs has them pretty well
documented. I don't use the Pro version, but I'm assuming that
the newer 6-Pro probably addresses those issues. There is a
Readme.Html in the destination folder that has some detailed
info on changes/known issues. If you use Pro, it might be worth
a visit to the Zone Alarm forum for more information:
http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board?board.id=gen

"lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> Why the new version of 6.0? Is it going to fix all the problems with the
> current 6.0?
>
> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> **FYI: Not an Advertisement
>>
>> Zone Alarm has posted a new release of Version 6.0 (60.667.0) Free
>> on their website. Installation process has changed a little. Be careful
>> select upgrade, to preserve existing settings and the choice between
>> the Free version and pro is laid out a little different. Will require a
>> boot
>> to complete the install/update.

no, I don't have pro, but there are some issues w/ the home ( free ) version
that I wish they'd fix. Thanks for the tip, though.

> Pro has got a lot of issues and Zone Labs has them pretty well
> documented. I don't use the Pro version, but I'm assuming that
> the newer 6-Pro probably addresses those issues. There is a
> Readme.Html in the destination folder that has some detailed
> info on changes/known issues. If you use Pro, it might be worth
> a visit to the Zone Alarm forum for more information:
> http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board?board.id=gen
>
> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Why the new version of 6.0? Is it going to fix all the problems with the
>> current 6.0?
>>
>> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>> **FYI: Not an Advertisement
>>>
>>> Zone Alarm has posted a new release of Version 6.0 (60.667.0) Free
>>> on their website. Installation process has changed a little. Be careful
>>> select upgrade, to preserve existing settings and the choice between
>>> the Free version and pro is laid out a little different. Will require a
>>> boot
>>> to complete the install/update.

Not a problem, I didn't have any issues with the 1st 6.0 Free
version - but I do check in on the Forum and it appeared that
the new features weren't fully tested and Pro had some serious
issues with VSMon consuming huge amounts of memory. It
certainly makes a vendor look ineffective to release a so called
updated program that has defects like ZA 6 Pro experienced.
Likely it's this "Be-all, End-all" desire for a single product to do
too many things. That's one of my complaints about Norton AV,
every year they tack on more features/services to an already
bloated product. This year's NAV just ups the ante on what is
already in it.

> no, I don't have pro, but there are some issues w/ the home ( free )
> version that I wish they'd fix. Thanks for the tip, though.
>
> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Pro has got a lot of issues and Zone Labs has them pretty well
>> documented. I don't use the Pro version, but I'm assuming that
>> the newer 6-Pro probably addresses those issues. There is a
>> Readme.Html in the destination folder that has some detailed
>> info on changes/known issues. If you use Pro, it might be worth
>> a visit to the Zone Alarm forum for more information:
>> http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board?board.id=gen
>>
>> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Why the new version of 6.0? Is it going to fix all the problems with
>>> the current 6.0?
>>>
>>> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message

The 2 things that I am experiencing are fast user switch..I can switch, but
not log off. If I log off, the screen just goes black. ZA said they were
working on it. The other is frequent message when I reboot that ZA had a
system error, please reboot to start ZA again. I don't reboot, just open ZA
and start the application again. ZA also said they are working on it, and
both relate to SP2 & ZA 6.0 oh well, no big deal on either account.

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 09:08:08 -0500, "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com>
wrote:

>The 2 things that I am experiencing are fast user switch..I can switch, but
>not log off. If I log off, the screen just goes black. ZA said they were
>working on it. The other is frequent message when I reboot that ZA had a
>system error, please reboot to start ZA again. I don't reboot, just open ZA
>and start the application again. ZA also said they are working on it, and
>both relate to SP2 & ZA 6.0 oh well, no big deal on either account.

Dont have either of those problems in ZA pro 6.0

Please excuse the intrusion here but does ZA v6.???? allow an
installation of JUST the FIREWALL? My understanding is that V6 contains
AV plus other stuff.

Thanks, Fred

Les Herrman wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 09:08:08 -0500, "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com>
> wrote:
>

>>The 2 things that I am experiencing are fast user switch..I can switch, but
>>not log off. If I log off, the screen just goes black. ZA said they were
>>working on it. The other is frequent message when I reboot that ZA had a
>>system error, please reboot to start ZA again. I don't reboot, just open ZA
>>and start the application again. ZA also said they are working on it, and
>>both relate to SP2 & ZA 6.0 oh well, no big deal on either account.
>

> Dont have either of those problems in ZA pro 6.0

well, I do. Might be configuration specific.

<Les Herrman> wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 09:08:08 -0500, "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
>>The 2 things that I am experiencing are fast user switch..I can switch,
>>but
>>not log off. If I log off, the screen just goes black. ZA said they were
>>working on it. The other is frequent message when I reboot that ZA had a
>>system error, please reboot to start ZA again. I don't reboot, just open
>>ZA
>>and start the application again. ZA also said they are working on it, and
>>both relate to SP2 & ZA 6.0 oh well, no big deal on either account.
>

> Dont have either of those problems in ZA pro 6.0

That's all I have..no extras.

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 15:25:30 -0400, Fred S <"Fred S"@anonymous.com>
wrote:

>Please excuse the intrusion here but does ZA v6.???? allow an
>installation of JUST the FIREWALL? My understanding is that V6 contains
>AV plus other stuff.
>
>Thanks, Fred

Yes it does include all that other "stuff" But you can turn it all off
if you want to.