Jun 28, 2020
Hi all

If I update my bios to the latest version will I still be able to use my Ryzen 5 1600 with it or will I have to upgrade my cpu to 2nd or 3rd gen

Mobo: MSI B350M Gaming Pro

Thanks

Solution
My bios version is old now (like 3 years) so updating it improves other things other then just CPU Compatibility and also i'm on the fence about upgrading to a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU, so updating it saves me doing it at another time.

Looking through the upgrade notes, I see a lot of "Improved Compatibility" notes, but nothing about "Improved Functionality". If your current components are already compatible, then you gain nothing in doing so, aside from being ready for the 3rd Gen Ryzen. Updating the BIOS is generally a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" item. It's not something you do just because it's "old".

However, if you decide to move ahead with this, be sure to update your motherboard chip set drivers to the latest version...
Jun 28, 2020
You still able to use the old ryzen. The update only add compability for new cpu.

Thank you

There is nothing in the BIOS notes stating loss of compatibility with the 1st Generation Ryzen processors in the BIOS notes, but the question needs to be asked. Why are you updating the BIOS if you're not updating the processor?

-Wolf sends

My bios version is old now (like 3 years) so updating it improves other things other then just CPU Compatibility and also i'm on the fence about upgrading to a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU, so updating it saves me doing it at another time.

Wolfshadw

Titan

Looking through the upgrade notes, I see a lot of "Improved Compatibility" notes, but nothing about "Improved Functionality". If your current components are already compatible, then you gain nothing in doing so, aside from being ready for the 3rd Gen Ryzen. Updating the BIOS is generally a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" item. It's not something you do just because it's "old".

However, if you decide to move ahead with this, be sure to update your motherboard chip set drivers to the latest version before updating the BIOS. See notes for 7A39v21.

-Wolf sends

Solution