Upgrade help needed! Compaq AP500 Workstation

mark

I've got a Compaq AP500 professional Workstation with the following
specs:

Dual PII 400Mhz processors
512MB RAM
Two 4.3GB Wide-Ultra SCSI-3 drives
ELSA Synergy II AGP video + onboard video
32X IDE CD-ROM
325 watt Compaq proprietary power supply (1 year old)
One honkin' huge, heavy tower case

I'm wondering what, if any, upgrade options exist for this system. I
was thinking of turning it into a Linux media server, but from what
I've found so far it would be a lot cheaper to abandon this system
(either part it out or toss it off a cliff) and start with a more
modern machine.

Any good options out there to rescue this system?

The AP500 is pretty proprietary. Upgrades? Bigger SCSI drives. Dual 550MHz
or 600MHz Pentium 3 processors, which MUST be the ones designed to operate at
2.0v with 100MHz front side bus. More memory. That's about it... Ben Myers

On 24 Oct 2004 18:16:51 -0700, trashacct2@yahoo.com (Mark) wrote:

>I've got a Compaq AP500 professional Workstation with the following
>specs:
>
>Dual PII 400Mhz processors
>512MB RAM
>Two 4.3GB Wide-Ultra SCSI-3 drives
>ELSA Synergy II AGP video + onboard video
>32X IDE CD-ROM
>325 watt Compaq proprietary power supply (1 year old)
>One honkin' huge, heavy tower case
>
>I'm wondering what, if any, upgrade options exist for this system. I
>was thinking of turning it into a Linux media server, but from what
>I've found so far it would be a lot cheaper to abandon this system
>(either part it out or toss it off a cliff) and start with a more
>modern machine.
>
>Any good options out there to rescue this system?

hh

....in other words Katmai PIIIs, the ones with the half-speed 512K L2 cache.
A pair of 600s would speed up the old workstation nicely.
HH

> The AP500 is pretty proprietary. Upgrades? Bigger SCSI drives. Dual
> 550MHz
> or 600MHz Pentium 3 processors, which MUST be the ones designed to operate
> at
> 2.0v with 100MHz front side bus. More memory. That's about it... Ben
> Myers
>
> On 24 Oct 2004 18:16:51 -0700, trashacct2@yahoo.com (Mark) wrote:
>
>>I've got a Compaq AP500 professional Workstation with the following
>>specs:
>>
>>Dual PII 400Mhz processors
>>512MB RAM
>>Two 4.3GB Wide-Ultra SCSI-3 drives
>>ELSA Synergy II AGP video + onboard video
>>32X IDE CD-ROM
>>325 watt Compaq proprietary power supply (1 year old)
>>One honkin' huge, heavy tower case
>>
>>I'm wondering what, if any, upgrade options exist for this system. I
>>was thinking of turning it into a Linux media server, but from what
>>I've found so far it would be a lot cheaper to abandon this system
>>(either part it out or toss it off a cliff) and start with a more
>>modern machine.
>>
>>Any good options out there to rescue this system?

Thanks for the suggestions. After running the numbers I've decided it
will cost more to upgrade this system than the final resulting system
would be worth to me. Time to find a buyer...