Question Upgrade issues on a ready-made system ?

May 27, 2023
I purchased ready made system , normally I build my own, but a good price. Gigabyte B550 rev 1.0 / AMD Ryzen 5700x, 1TB nvme WD green, RTX 360 12gig, windows 11 600 watt PSU , had 16gig DDR4 3200 xpg gammix d10 , I added another nvme WD_BLACK SN850X HS 2000GB, as well as 2 sticks of Corsair vengeance rgb pro 32gig each 3600.

All was good until I added 2 more sticks of the same memory, the manual states up to 3200 for ram but the specifications states up to 4733 OC, system boots fine XMP profile enable or disabled , once in windows I will lose my internet, even though hardware test say all is ok.

USAFRet

Titan
as well as 2 sticks of Corsair vengeance rgb pro 32gig each 3600, all was good until I added 2 more sticks of the same memory, the manual states up to 3200 for ram but the specifications states up to 4733 OC, system boots fine XMP profile enable or disabled , once in windows I will lose my internet, even though hardware test say all is ok.
2 RAM sticks, then add 2 more, and lose internet?

That is exactly what happened to me a couple weeks ago.

Original;:
2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

Add:
2x 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

96GB total.

Boots up, and works. About4-5 minutes later, no internet.

Each pair works just fine on its own, in either slot pair.

I have not found a fix.

This is why RAM is sold in set. Mixing often fails in weird and nonobvious ways.

May 27, 2023

Original;:

Add:

96GB total.

I have not found a fix.

This is why RAM is sold in set. Mixing often fails in weird and nonobvious ways

Original;:

Add:

96GB total.

I have not found a fix.

This is why RAM is sold in set. Mixing often fails in weird and nonobvious ways.
I'm thinking of ordering a 128gig 4 set of 3200 of the same brand, but waiting to hear from tech support as I bought this less than a month ago. good luck thanks for the info.

May 27, 2023
Hello , status , contacted support , they said possible bad memory, tried removing 1 stick at a time , anything more than 2 sticks 32x2, I lose internet, also tried removing added nvme drive , no luck , reset bios, no luck , also purchased Corsair vengeance rgb pro sl 3200mhz 128 gig 32x4 , I'm at a loss, there is no memory vender list for this motherboard.

It is not clear to me why ram issues should cause internet loss.

Run memtest to verify that your ram is fully functional.
memtest86 or memtest86+
boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

If you get ANY error at all, you can try to fix the issue by increasing the ram voltage sufficiently.

ryzen is particularly sensitive to ram compatibility.
If you need lots of ram, look at the motherboard ram qvl list for your motherboard and processor.
I think this is the list for your mobo and cpu:

Also, there are usually bios updates that fix ram compatibility issues. Check that out first.

Reactions: cousinvinnie777
May 27, 2023
It is not clear to me why ram issues should cause internet loss.

Run memtest to verify that your ram is fully functional.
memtest86 or memtest86+
boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

If you get ANY error at all, you can try to fix the issue by increasing the ram voltage sufficiently.

ryzen is particularly sensitive to ram compatibility.
If you need lots of ram, look at the motherboard ram qvl list for your motherboard and processor.
I think this is the list for your mobo and cpu:

Also, there are usually bios updates that fix ram compatibility issues. Check that out first.
Hi, the qvl list you sent me , even though Gigabyte doesn't have it under my MB , they just have CPU/SSD/NVME qvl list, more too the point the adata memory that was installed is on that list and the 3600/3200 sets that I ordered are not on that list, kind of odd that 2 sticks will work ok of either set, I'm gonna check my timings, and run mem test. thanks again, Vince

Here is the link for ram support for your motherboard:
Note that support is different, depending on the processor.
Ryzen is peculiar that way, and not all seemingly suitable kits will work.
5000 series chips are vermeer, and that is the list I linked for you.
Best to use an explicitly supported kit.
Or, for the ram vendor you pick, check their support list for the mobo/cpu combo that you will be using.

If you are so inclined, you might be able to overcome issues by increasing ram voltage past what would normally be needed.

May 27, 2023
Here is the link for ram support for your motherboard:
Note that support is different, depending on the processor.
Ryzen is peculiar that way, and not all seemingly suitable kits will work.
5000 series chips are vermeer, and that is the list I linked for you.
Best to use an explicitly supported kit.
Or, for the ram vendor you pick, check their support list for the mobo/cpu combo that you will be using.

If you are so inclined, you might be able to overcome issues by increasing ram voltage past what would normally be needed.
Thank you , I'll try that later . Thanks for the info , strange that the B550 UD AC 1.0 has no listing. Thanks again. PS this is the first ready made rig I have ever bought , lesson learned , build my own.

May 27, 2023
Update, while looking for my memory settings, I found a few odd settings, so I decided to do a bios reset as well as take the battery out for a few and put the 4x32gig 3200 memory in . bios reset notification, check in bios all is good , non xmp for now, network stays up, I did update my Realtek Lan drivers. any issues ill post here . thanks for all the help. Vince

It's very strange. If you search the internet for things along the lines of "new RAM, internet cuts out after a while" it happens a lot. It's also hard to find any definitive solutions, but on the whole it (a) never seems to be an actual problem with the RAM and (b) appears to be most often fixed (in the few cases where a solution is reported) by reinstalling the drivers (also effectively done when people have replaced their network cards or reinstalled Windows).

From the above, it might be the Realtek LAN driver update that fixed it rather than the BIOS stuff.

May 27, 2023
It's very strange. If you search the internet for things along the lines of "new RAM, internet cuts out after a while" it happens a lot. It's also hard to find any definitive solutions, but on the whole it (a) never seems to be an actual problem with the RAM and (b) appears to be most often fixed (in the few cases where a solution is reported) by reinstalling the drivers (also effectively done when people have replaced their network cards or reinstalled Windows).

From the above, it might be the Realtek LAN driver update that fixed it rather than the BIOS stuff.
Sometimes you can search through out the internet and forums and never find anything close to the problem, but I was surprised how old the Realtek driver was even with windows 11 . All in all played some games last night , no issues.