Cooling - H150i
Mem - 32gb of ddr4 3000 tridantz 2x16
GPU - rtx 2070
Mobo - Gigabyte gaming g1
Storage -
ADATA 256 ssd
WD blue 3 tb
Toshiba 2tb

I am a colorist mostly use 8k R3D raw files or 4k log. My system runs all footage pretty well just have to wait a bit for a quick render of the time line and I can play back, but I wanna play back in real time with also no spending to much. (I know how that sounds)
I was thinking I could go AMD with 2700x itll 2x my core count and I feel like that should be good. (but maybe not enough?) with that said ill need a new cooler, Mobo and obviously the CPU. This is what I was thinking.

CPU - AMD 2700x $310
Mobo - Asus x470 pro $164
Cooler - H150i $159

I would also like to 2x my Mem to bring it to 64 so add another $220
total $853

My other thought was to stay intel and go
CPU - 9700k $420
Mobo - Asus prime z390 $190
Cooler - Keep the one I have
Mem - $220
Total $830

Or should I just go 1st gen thread ripper with a cheaper cooler in price like a noctua
Cpu - 1950x $590
Mobo - Asrock Phantom $250
Cooler - Noctua $80
Mem - $220
total $1140

Any other builds are welcome. aswell as anyother fixes that anyone can think of to make it run faster.

Solution
That's entirely a decision you'd need to make. I can tell you, as I have a 2700X, that multithreaded applications run amazingly with this cpu. I've been ripping and re-encoding all of the DVD's in my collection to a dedicated Plex server I set up out of spare parts, and the encodes go fairly quick, far quicker than my workstation with a 7700k in it. To me, it's a no brainer. If you plan on doing anything that can take advantage of all those cores, that 800 should be, in my opinion, well spent. And don't forget, 8 physical cores, 16 logical cores, so if you go into task manager, your OS will see a 16 core cpu. That's massive.

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
Either scenario should work well. The one advantage Ryzen has is that there'll be at least
another couple generations of CPU's that'll be supported by that motherboard with only a bios update. So Zen 2, Zen 2+, and maybe even Zen 3 could work on that one board alone. When you figure the cost of 2-3 future motherboards, the value really starts to shine.

Intel is pretty notorious at requiring a new motherboard every gen, or every other gen. I personally stay away as I'm not a fan of their business practices, but that's just me. AMD is just a better value for what I do, which is mainly games, and video editing.

Threadripper would be good as well, but like Intel, I believe they need a new motherboard from gen to gen, however I'm not completely certain off the top of my head.

jakeglaviano

Honorable
Aug 19, 2017
Either scenario should work well. The one advantage Ryzen has is that there'll be at least
another couple generations of CPU's that'll be supported by that motherboard with only a bios update. So Zen 2, Zen 2+, and maybe even Zen 3 could work on that one board alone. When you figure the cost of 2-3 future motherboards, the value really starts to shine.

Intel is pretty notorious at requiring a new motherboard every gen, or every other gen. I personally stay away as I'm not a fan of their business practices, but that's just me. AMD is just a better value for what I do, which is mainly games, and video editing.

Threadripper would be good as well, but like Intel, I believe they need a new motherboard from gen to gen, however I'm not completely certain off the top of my head.
my only thought is would 8 cores be enough to have a big difference from what I have ( ik now it sounds dumb) but is It actually worth it to spend 800 to get the performance I would be getting

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
That's entirely a decision you'd need to make. I can tell you, as I have a 2700X, that multithreaded applications run amazingly with this cpu. I've been ripping and re-encoding all of the DVD's in my collection to a dedicated Plex server I set up out of spare parts, and the encodes go fairly quick, far quicker than my workstation with a 7700k in it. To me, it's a no brainer. If you plan on doing anything that can take advantage of all those cores, that 800 should be, in my opinion, well spent. And don't forget, 8 physical cores, 16 logical cores, so if you go into task manager, your OS will see a 16 core cpu. That's massive.

Solution