[SOLVED] Upgrade or wait? 1070 to 2070 super

Bazza23

Honorable
Jan 3, 2017
Hi Guys,

Just looking for a little advice really as i'm 50/50 on the matter.

My current spec PC are as follows:

Processor: i5 6600K
GPU: ROG GTX 1070
Mobo: Asus z170 Pro
Power supply: EVGA 750w gold
Ram: 2 x 8 gb corsair 3000mhz

Now, i feel like the i5 is really holding this system back considering i want to play at 1440p at 144hz. I feel like the 1070 is starting to struggle a little bit with new titles coming out as i find myself lowering settings quite a lot.

I'm looking at upgrading to a ryzen 3700, x570 mobo and an rtx 2070 super but i'm really struggling to justify if the 2070 super is worth getting at this moment in time. I've heard whispers of the 30 series of gpus coming out in the summer but i really want to get off this I5/mobo combination i'm sitting on due to a lot of crashing and lower performance lately.

Any advice would be appreciated.

P.s - Would you guys advise swapping out any other parts in the machine if i went for the upgrade?

Thanks in advance,

Baz

EDIT: My upgrade price range is 800-900 pounds. Can be flexible though up to 1000 if absolutely needed.

Last edited:
Solution
Not an easy decision to make, I think.

You could keep the RAM and reuse it, and perhaps only upgrade the CPU and motherboard. Though depending on games you may find yourself needing to move to 16GB (and perhaps higher frequency) RAM sooner.

Ultimately it does come down to the games you play if wanting certain performance.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
a lot of crashing
It would be a good idea to figure out the cause of this, or it can continue after the upgrade. Therefore:
-how long has the psu been in use?
-Ram: 2 x 8 gb corsair 3000mhz: is this a true 2x 8GB kit, or did you start with 8GBs and add another 8GBs later on?
-PC is virus and malware free?
-Motherboard drivers up to date?
-Have you run a Windows DISM and system scan? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Bazza23

Honorable
Jan 3, 2017
You may find this interesting for your case.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCV9yyD8X6M

Would depend on how much you're willing to spend. With that video in mind an i7-6700k would do quite well on a lesser expenditure. i5s are becoming more limited due to game development and coding.

What is concerning is the crashes you mention. Have you tried to get that sorted out?

I did update my bios as it hadn't been touched since i bought it and i believe that may have sorted out the issue. After just getting into this video it has been quite interesting! The Ryzen 7 3700x does not seem to perform as well as i thought. However its price is appealing. With a budget of around 800-900 pounds for the upgrade what 3 parts would you recommend going for in regards to mobo,processor and gpu?

Bazza23

Honorable
Jan 3, 2017
It would be a good idea to figure out the cause of this, or it can continue after the upgrade. Therefore:
-how long has the psu been in use?
-Ram: 2 x 8 gb corsair 3000mhz: is this a true 2x 8GB kit, or did you start with 8GBs and add another 8GBs later on?
-PC is virus and malware free?
-Motherboard drivers up to date?
-Have you run a Windows DISM and system scan? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Hi dude,

Sorry i forgot to mention that i think i just resolved the crashing issue with a bios update as it hadn't been updated since bought.

All parts in this PC are around 3 yrs old.

You could keep the RAM and reuse it, and perhaps only upgrade the CPU and motherboard. Though depending on games you may find yourself needing to move to 16GB (and perhaps higher frequency) RAM sooner.

Ultimately it does come down to the games you play if wanting certain performance.

Solution

Bazza23

Honorable
Jan 3, 2017

I was also thinking on maybe going for an i7 9700k instead of the ryzen as it is only slightly more expensive. I currently do have 16GB of ram though with two 8 gb sticks. I did think about only upgrading the cpu and mobo as they in my eyes last a bit longer than say a gpu would right?

Do you think 3000mhz ram is too low?

For the Ryzen 3000 series CPUs 3600MHz is the sweet spot for RAM as I understand it.

Some people like to get as much performance as possible, but some software don't scale that well with increased RAM frequencies. So the fudge answer is: it depends on what software is using it.

Would agree on the CPU and motherboard lasting longer if chosen well.

Bazza23

Honorable
Jan 3, 2017
For the Ryzen 3000 series CPUs 3600MHz is the sweet spot for RAM as I understand it.

Some people like to get as much performance as possible, but some software don't scale that well with increased RAM frequencies. So the fudge answer is: it depends on what software is using it.

Would agree on the CPU and motherboard lasting longer if chosen well.

Thanks. I think i may have to stay intel and upgrade the mobo and cpu for now. Maybe look at updating the gpu with the release of the 30 series.