[SOLVED] Upgrade ram and get a nvme m.2 or upgrade cpu, motherboard?

ItsKieranL

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
I am inbetween upgrading my current build, my build being -
Current specs -
Case - NZXT H500
CPU / Processor - I7 6700k
GPU - RTX 2070 Super
Power supply - cm650x
motherboard - Asrock z270 taichi
CPU cooler - Hyper 212x evo
ram - 2x4 Corsair vengeance LPX 2400 - CMK8GX4M2A2400C14
1x8 Hyper fury - HX424C15FB2/8

I don't know if i upgrade my motherboard and cpu this month, or 32gb 3200mhz ram and a sdd such as the Samsung 970 EVO Plus the next month, or the opposite way round. For some context, i do edit videos / montages on adobe premiere pro, i do play Rainbow six siege at a competitive level so basically which ever of these two options will give me the most fps boost like if the cpu and motherboard upgrade will give me more then i'll go with them two for the first month then the second i'll go with the ram and ssd.

I guess the real question is which of these options should i go for first? And if it is the CPU one which CPU fan should i get which is also suitable for my case?

Last edited:
Solution
If you do not already have a ssd, that will be one of the most satisfying upgrades.
Everything you do is quicker.

It sounds like you are satisfied with the GTX2070S and that is not part of the upgrade plan.
Take the time to find out how sensitive your games are to processor characteristics.
Namely, single thread performance and thread count.

Here are two somewhat backhanded tests.
The tests could also be done for your batch apps.

For core count sensitivity, disable one of your 8 threads.
You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
Run your games.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all...

Fusion1005

Commendable
Jan 15, 2020
I am inbetween upgrading my current build, my build being -
Current specs -
Case - NZXT H500
CPU / Processor - I7 6700k
GPU - RTX 2070 Super
Power supply - cm650x
motherboard - Asrock z270 taichi
CPU cooler - Hyper 212x evo
ram - 2x4 Corsair vengeance LPX 2400 - CMK8GX4M2A2400C14
1x8 Hyper fury - HX424C15FB2/8

I don't know if i upgrade my motherboard and cpu this month, or 32gb 3200mhz ram and a sdd such as the Samsung 970 EVO Plus the next month, or the opposite way round. For some context, i do edit videos / montages on adobe premiere pro, i do play Rainbow six siege at a competitive level so basically which ever of these two options will give me the most fps boost like if the cpu and motherboard upgrade will give me more then i'll go with them two for the first month then the second i'll go with the ram and ssd.

I guess the real question is which of these options should i go for first? And if it is the CPU one which CPU fan should i get which is also suitable for my case?

Where did you find the nzxt h500 for sale? Everywhere I look, it's sold out.

If you do not already have a ssd, that will be one of the most satisfying upgrades.
Everything you do is quicker.

It sounds like you are satisfied with the GTX2070S and that is not part of the upgrade plan.
Take the time to find out how sensitive your games are to processor characteristics.
Namely, single thread performance and thread count.

Here are two somewhat backhanded tests.
The tests could also be done for your batch apps.

For core count sensitivity, disable one of your 8 threads.
You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
Run your games.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

On sensitivity to single thread performance,
Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 80%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 20% improvement in core speed might do.

On the batch performance side, I would put that secondary unless you are making a living at it.
It is easier to tolerate longer run times that to suffer blips while gaming.

Your case can handle a 165mm air cooler.
About the best will be a noctua NH-D15 which also comes in black.
NH-D15s is similar.

Solution