Question Upgrade to 32GB ram even though not using full 16?

Nov 17, 2022
I've been doing some video editing with Cyberlink PowerDirector. On task manager the cpu is really maxing out a lot. The ram i think sits steadily at 50% or less. And my gpu sits at probably 20% or less. I couldn't find online whether upgrading my ram would help even though it looks like its only using 50%. I know how important plenty of ram is to these ryzen 5 and the gpu as well.

My pc is
Ryzen 3600
Asrock b450m pro
Msi 1650 super (fully up to date drivers)
Vengence 2 x 8GB ram (16gb)
Stock cpu cooler
Decent case

In the program my gpu is selected and optimized as well. So its using the gpu as much as it can I guess

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you not using it, why buy more? It just sit there not being used

more ram won't help CPU if its only using half now. If you were closer to 80% ram I would think about more. Only as it would be using page file.

Only thing that likely use more is windows as it grows into the space you give it, but not to point you using that much. Only way I have to use most of my ram is run a VM and give it 8gb
4HvEmVB.jpg

Otherwise I sit here with 20gb free doing nothing

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022
if you not using it, why buy more? It just sit there not being used

more ram won't help CPU if its only using half now. If you were closer to 80% ram I would think about more. Only as it would be using page file.

Only thing that likely use more is windows as it grows into the space you give it, but not to point you using that much. Only way I have to use most of my ram is run a VM and give it 8gb
4HvEmVB.jpg

Otherwise I sit here with 20gb free doing nothing

Gotcha, ya I didn't realize the cpu would end up being my bottleneck with video editing. Would have thought it would demand more ram in which case I'd upgrade to 2 16gb sticks but I guess your saying that wouldn't help. I'm already using strictly nvme drives too so ya, guess this is as good as it'll get with the 3600

Colif

Win 11 Master
Cyberlink really only shows minimums, not recommended as such -
Minimum for 64bit is 6gb
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=17743
I found one fix but its just increase page file and that doesn't help if PC isn't using all ram now.

Nothing can make it go faster except the CPU. It could be going as fast as it can. it should be using all your cores/threads. 3600 isn't slow but obviously there are CPU with more cores. not that many more though that would work in your pc.

other video editors would love more ram but it seems this doesn't

Reactions: Zekul