[SOLVED] Upgrade to Ryzen 5600X or wait for Intel's 12th gen and Ryzen 6th gen?

HR_Luka

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2014
Hi,

My current CPU is i5 3330 (yeah, pretty old), that's why I want to upgrade my CPU (and with it MoBo, CPU Cooler, RAM, M.2 SSD).
I have enough for Ryzen 5600X, Aorus B450 Elite V2 (supports Ryzen 5600X after BIOS flash), 16 GB DDR4 (2x8 GB) 3600 MHz RAM, Noctua NH-U12A cooler and Crucial M.2 500 GB SSD.

New (confimed?) information say i5 12600K(F) will have 10 cores (6 performance + 4 efficient cores) and 16 threads with DDR5. Also, according to the speculated prices it will be within my price range. Couldn't dig up anything about Ryzen 6th gen processors other than it will be paired with DDR5.

I would like to start light streaming service on Twitch (I know dual PC would be ideal, but not an option right now) and that's why i5 12600K(F) sounds attractive.
Not interested into streaming AAA games, only Valorant and Valheim (those relatively easy games with higher FPS), maybe even LoL.

Current GPU is GTX 1070 @ 1080p, it will hold well for the time being.

Ryzen 6XXX series are expected in Q1 2022.
I would like other peoples' insight into my dilemma, should I wait for Intel's 12th gen and Ryzen 6XXX series processors or buy 5600X?

Solution
Hi,

My current CPU is i5 3330 (yeah, pretty old), that's why I want to upgrade my CPU (and with it MoBo, CPU Cooler, RAM, M.2 SSD).
I have enough for Ryzen 5600X, Aorus B450 Elite V2 (supports Ryzen 5600X after BIOS flash), 16 GB DDR4 (2x8 GB) 3600 MHz RAM, Noctua NH-U12A cooler and Crucial M.2 500 GB SSD.

New (confimed?) information say i5 12600K(F) will have 10 cores (6 performance + 4 efficient cores) and 16 threads with DDR5. Also, according to the speculated prices it will be within my price range. Couldn't dig up anything about Ryzen 6th gen processors other than it will be paired with DDR5.

I would like to start light streaming service on Twitch (I know dual PC would be ideal, but not an option right now) and that's why i5...
Hi,

I would like to start light streaming service on Twitch (I know dual PC would be ideal, but not an option right now) and that's why i5 12600K(F) sounds attractive.
Not interested into streaming AAA games, only Valorant and Valheim (those relatively easy games with higher FPS), maybe even LoL.

Current GPU is GTX 1070 @ 1080p, it will hold well for the time being.

Ryzen 6XXX series are expected in Q1 2022.
I would like other peoples' insight into my dilemma, should I wait for Intel's 12th gen and Ryzen 6XXX series processors or buy 5600X?
Ryzen 6th gen is a LONG way off; we're only on 4th gen right now. It's unknown what 5th gen model number sequence will be.

Waiting for Alder lake or Ryzen 5th gen with any expectations of performance is bad idea since there are no reviews of the processors or motherboards to make a decision. There are 'leaks' and prognostications of terrific uplift from the Intel camp, but those need to be taken with huge grains of salt. Since the architecture is hugely different, with a mix of performant and efficient cores, it could come with a ton of limitations which marketing leaks would, quite naturally, ignore. And AMD is supposedly prepping a spin of 4th gen that provides a huge uplift to match.

Adds up to more than enough reason to move on what's available now if you're in need of a new system.

Reactions: HR_Luka
Solution

JaxDaggerTTV

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020
I currently stream on twitch playing fast paced games mostly FPS and i'm only running a ryzen 2700 which has 8 cores 16 thread with a 3060 (originally a 1070) and sticking with 720p on twitch which is normal unless you are partnered for the extra bitrate you can then utilize, I would consider maybe even grabbing one of those for now and then a 5600x when they get even cheaper, see how it performs with 6 cores and 12 threads in the meantime via comparison videos (im actually currently looking into whether it is it worth upgrading to less cores myself)

also if you are building from scratch now you may aswell consider a b550 motherboard instead for the PCI-E 4.0 just for future proofing, but the b450 boards or atleast some of them as far as i know you can flash the bios to use 5000 series CPUs on the old b450 motherboards still

my suggestion is build the 5600x build or...

Grab a cheap b450 motherboard and a 2700 (which you can overclock to basically a 2700x) and go with that with your 1070 for now, atleast for valorant and such, then upgrade in future when you decide the 1070 isn't suiting you anymore

if you want to do that, you can also sell your 1070 for around £300 right now and get a 1080 upgrade for around the same price (which is what i did before i suddenly got my hands on a 3060 a week later)

Last edited: