Question Upgrading a ryzen 7 3700x to an i7-13700k, better fps?

wardhsa2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2018
Hi guys. I was thinking of doing a small upgrade to my system. I have seen the newer graphics cards however it does not really seem worth it for me right now. I currently have a 1070 ti with a ryzen 7 3700x. I mostly play fps games like csgo and valorant.
I was thinking of upgrading my ryzen to an i7 13700k, and buy DDR5 ram. Do you think the upgrade is gonna be good. I know i might have bottleneck, however i would like to start upgrading something in my pc and maybe wait until next year for a new gpu. Will i get better performance in fps games from this upgrade?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your 3700X is capable of having a more powerful graphics card than what you are using. Rather than changing the platform it would be advisable to look towards a modern graphics card. Be sure to consider your power supply for output, quality, and age.

Edit- even if you decide to make an upgrade, might not wish to go to a different platform altogether, you should probably consider the 5000 series Ryzen processors. That would be a very high value way to go towards squeezing just a touch more performance while saving a considerable amount of cash for it.

Hi guys. I was thinking of doing a small upgrade to my system. I have seen the newer graphics cards however it does not really seem worth it for me right now. I currently have a 1070 ti with a ryzen 7 3700x. I mostly play fps games like csgo and valorant.
I was thinking of upgrading my ryzen to an i7 13700k, and buy DDR5 ram. Do you think the upgrade is gonna be good. I know i might have bottleneck, however i would like to start upgrading something in my pc and maybe wait until next year for a new gpu. Will i get better performance in fps games from this upgrade?

What are your pc specs now to include the psu.

What monitor are you using, model and refresh rate?

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
In your configuration the first thing to upgrade is GPU. Replacing the CPU of course may give you some FPS. But replace the GPU with a RTX 3070, or 4070 then you will have bigger gains.

Do some experimenting.
Games such as CSGO are cpu centric and rely on the performance of the single master thread.
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Run the cpu-Z bench test. You should get a number like 528:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/q7xhw8

If you want to upgrade the cpu, keep it in the amd line.
There will be a learning curve switching to intel.
A 5800X would seem reasonable.
I am not so hot on the X3D options. They seem to be very specialized and not as good on ordinary work.

Ryzen benefits from fast ram. Intel not so much. DDR4 works well with Intel and performs about the same as DDR4.

What is the make/model of your psu?
If a graphics card is in order, you may need a stronger psu.