[SOLVED] Upgrading advice?

Time 2 Kill

Honorable
Jul 30, 2015
I got a computer from a friend who said it continually crashed on him or froze. He said he was going to throw it away so I stepped in and said id take it and of course I did, due to it having substantially better hardware than my current rig(his and my specs below). The issues I had experienced when I got it was extremely similar but the main one was freezing at the bios splash screen and maybe every 10th reboot I may have been able to get through to windows where it would work fine but this was a while back so I may miss some details like whether it crashed on me or not. From what I remember it never did, anyway getting to the point. My diagnosis was that the motherboard or the bios chip[ were dead or something along those lines. I see no reason the CPU shouldn't work but I am also not an expert or have a lot of experience diagnosing PC issues. I just would like some advice on if I should put the money in to buy a motherboard to use this CPU or if I should save time and money and get better which I assume is most people's answers.

His PC(now mine)
CPU: i7 4790
GPU: GTX 970
HDD: 2TB western digital
Motherboard: Some LGA 1150
Power Supply: 750w EVGA

My PC
CPU: Athlon II 760k
GPU: GTX 970 (from the other PC)
HDD: 1TB western digital
SSD: 120gb silicon power
Motherboard: Some FM2+
Power Supply: 750w EVGA (from the other PC

Solution
Normally wouldn't recommend but if you can get a compatible board cheap you might go that route since the CPU was high end for it's day and is a lot better than yours. Plus you've got ram and the 970 already. You might be able to come up with a working system for just a few bucks.

Time 2 Kill

Honorable
Jul 30, 2015
The most likely culprit is a faulty stick of RAM. Take all but one stick out and test. If the problem persists, swap that out for the other stick.

Or if your old PC is/was stable, just swap your RAM in and take his out.
It didn't work, I used the ram that I use now that I know works and it still froze on the bios screen.

Normally wouldn't recommend but if you can get a compatible board cheap you might go that route since the CPU was high end for it's day and is a lot better than yours. Plus you've got ram and the 970 already. You might be able to come up with a working system for just a few bucks.

Solution