Upgrading AURORA R4 w/ DUAL Radeon HD 7970's possible?

ekimis

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Just ordered an Alienware Aurora R4, due at my front door 1/22/13...mainly because I had a fair amount of credit they owed me (work related) ...otherwise I would have gone somewhere else. I was looking around to see if I could upgrade my GPU to dual Radeon HD 7970's (Sapphire or XFX Black). Just starting to research this, not sure if anyone knows of someone who's running them in an Aurora. Figuring there's limitations with upgrades on a Dell/Alienware assembly lined rig. Price isn't an issue.

- Thanks

My build:
Intel Core i7-3930K (OC 4.1ghz)
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
32GB Quad Channel DDR3 1600MHz
Dual AMD Radeon HD 7870 2G GDDR5
1TB RAID 0 (2x500GB SATA 6Gb/s) Solid State Hybrid
8X Dual Layer Blu-Ray Burner (BD-RE, DVD+RW, CD-RW)
875W psu (may be pushing it...)

Wolfshadw

Titan
All really depends on what motherboard Alienware used in building this rig. If they went cheap and used a board with two PCI-Ex16 slots (x16/x4), you probably won't want to go with dual graphic cards. You should also make sure the motherboard even supports CrossfireX.

-Wolf sends

ekimis

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Motherboard is already set up with 2 Radeon HD 7870's in Crossfire, so I assume it should work, I know the motherboard is an Intel X79 based micro-ATX, other than that, I don't know a lot about it...we'll see when they deliver it. Was more worried about power...and the size with the extra cooling on the Sapphire or XFX Black versions of the 7970.