Question Upgrading components (GPU's and CPU)

Jeffinno

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Greetings!

Since 1060 and 1080's prices dropped, I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU and probably my CPU. Considering my components as of now I have GTX 960 and i5-4690. The whole idea of me upgrading is that I want to be able to run newer and upcoming games as smoothly as possible without needing to set everything on very low making it look like Minecraft.
Considering this, my question is will a GTX 1060 be enough to run the newest games or will I have to take a new CPU as well.
Or should I buy a 1080 with a CPU, because mine (i5-4690) won't be able to run well with the 1080. And what CPU would run well with the GPU's

PC SPECS:
GTX 960 2GB
Intel i5-4690 3.5 GHz
RAM 16GB
500W Power supply

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
Not sure where you are gonna find a new GTX 1080 to buy as GTX 1080's are out of stock in pretty much every major retailer in Germany including Amazon.de. Same is the case in amazon.com.

2016 called and they want their GPU back.

freercurse

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2016
It depends how well your i5 is running.
By this I mean when playing a game the main two bottlenecks are either your CPU or your GPU.
It means that if you have a heavy cpu bottleneck no matter how great of a gpu you get you won’t see any meaningful improvement.
To tell you can play a game and it should give you readouts for cpu/gpu usage % in task manager.
Typically it should be fine to go ahead with just a gpu refresh but as cpus get older.......
If you are making out your cpu then both may be required however if you are not, I would look into nvidia 11 series gpu’s,
Bu this would mostly be dependant on budget.

Jeffinno

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
It depends how well your i5 is running.
By this I mean when playing a game the main two bottlenecks are either your CPU or your GPU.
It means that if you have a heavy cpu bottleneck no matter how great of a gpu you get you won’t see any meaningful improvement.
To tell you can play a game and it should give you readouts for cpu/gpu usage % in task manager.
Typically it should be fine to go ahead with just a gpu refresh but as cpus get older.......
If you are making out your cpu then both may be required however if you are not, I would look into nvidia 11 series gpu’s,
Bu this would mostly be dependant on budget.
CPU works around 60-100% with fortnite for an example,and as far as i know gpus should work on 100% always

freercurse

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2016
That’s generally because gpu are mainly the bottleneck of the system. Because the goal is the highest FPS unless limited. If you try a crappy cpu i3 1st gen with a 2080 you’ll see the cpu will be at 100 but the gpu will be a lot lower.(with a limited frame count)

With a 60-100% usage in games however.....
You don’t really have much leeway unfortunately.

You may be just as well save up. You could buy a gtx 1160 to
But the chances are you would cpu bottle neck.
But as you’re not so atm a cpu upgrade would make a difference with a new gpu.

I would suggest you buy an 1160 with the understanding that depending on how cpu bound your numbers are, you may need a new mother board and cpu. But it’s not an exact science you might need a new cpu or you might not.

Who knows maybe you’ll be happy with the increase, however much that would be

Or you could save to buy it together.

Jeffinno

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
That’s generally because gpu are mainly the bottleneck of the system. Because the goal is the highest FPS unless limited. If you try a crappy cpu i3 1st gen with a 2080 you’ll see the cpu will be at 100 but the gpu will be a lot lower.(with a limited frame count)

With a 60-100% usage in games however.....
You don’t really have much leeway unfortunately.

You may be just as well save up. You could buy a gtx 1160 to
But the chances are you would cpu bottle neck.
But as you’re not so atm a cpu upgrade would make a difference with a new gpu.

I would suggest you buy an 1160 with the understanding that depending on how cpu bound your numbers are, you may need a new mother board and cpu. But it’s not an exact science you might need a new cpu or you might not.

Who knows maybe you’ll be happy with the increase, however much that would be

Or you could save to buy it together.
I just made a new thread about the 1660 ti and the i7-8700K. I don't really know what a new motherboard would do, perhaps you could enlighten me?

middcore

Commendable
Dec 7, 2018
Which one would you recommend? If i choose the 1080 will my i5-4690 be able to keep up with it,or do i need to buy a new CPU?

I would recommend the 1660 ti purely on the basis that you can easily buy one new and have a card with a warranty and probably more runway of future driver support.

Jeffinno

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
I would recommend the 1660 ti purely on the basis that you can easily buy one new and have a card with a warranty and probably more runway of future driver support.
Just saw a problem. My motherboard (ASRock H81M-VG4 ) and my monitor seem to be old.The motherboard doesn't support PCI-Express which is needed for the 1660 and my monitor doesn't have displayport,which means i need a new motherboard and a new monitor,right?

middcore

Commendable
Dec 7, 2018
Just saw a problem. My motherboard (ASRock H81M-VG4 ) and my monitor seem to be old.The motherboard doesn't support PCI-Express which is needed for the 1660 and my monitor doesn't have displayport,which means i need a new motherboard and a new monitor,right?

Huh? Your motherboard has 1 PCIe 2.0 x16 slot. Your GPU goes in there. PCIe 3.0 would be better but a 1660 ti certainly isn't going to saturate it enough to make an appreciable performance difference.

Any 1660 ti will have at least one HDMI out in addition to DP.

Jeffinno

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Huh? Your motherboard has 1 PCIe 2.0 x16 slot. Your GPU goes in there. PCIe 3.0 would be better but a 1660 ti certainly isn't going to saturate it enough to make an appreciable performance difference.

Any 1660 ti will have at least one HDMI out in addition to DP.
What is the difference between the slots? Why is the other one better?

freercurse

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2016
I agree, 1660 ti with the current mobo should run fine. But I wouldn't recommend you upgrade. After the 1660ti I would recommend a new cpu and mobo.
But the 1660ti should keep you running for a few years to come

It does not beat the 1080. It's almost exactly on par with a 1070 ti, so very close to a 1080 but certainly not ahead.

This is not quite accurate either. A 1660 Ti is on average on par with a 1070 in today's games, not a 1070 Ti. Even in that review you linked to, the 1660 Ti was only 2% faster than a 1070 across the 12 games they tested. It's the 2060 that's roughly on par with a 1070 Ti, not the 1660 Ti, and that card was around 12% faster across the games benchmarked in that review.

TechSpot also did a "mega benchmark" comparing performance across a wider selection of 33 games...

With this larger sample size, average frame rates of the 1660 Ti were shown to be more or less identical to the 1070 overall (faster in some games and slower in others), and the 2060 was on average 14% faster. The 1080 would perform a bit faster still, typically in between a 2060 and a 2070.

Now, this new generation of cards does have some updated architecture that could potentially allow them to pull a bit further ahead of their 10-series counterparts, but in most existing games that's not the case.

As for the i5-4690, in general it should perform pretty close to the current generation quad-core i3-8100. That could limit frame rates a bit in some games that are demanding on the CPU, but in general I don't think think it would be a problem with cards around this performance range.

What resolution screen is being used with this card? Higher resolutions like 1440p will tend to be limited more by the graphics card's performance than that of the CPU.