Question Upgrading from 1080 Ti to RTX 3080 ?

Shantohasibul

Honorable
Jan 23, 2017
Hello guys,
I'm willing to upgrade my GPU to RTX 3080 (Colorful iGame). I have Asrock Z490 Taichi which is a Gen 3 Motherboard and Intel Core I9-10900K.
Asrock says that they support gen 4 features on this board.

So my question is if i buy RTX 3080 will this gpu run it with PCIe gen 4 features or with Gen3 features (Because 10900K doesnt support gen4) ?
And do I have to use PCIe gen 4 riser cable to put this card in vertical ? Or (LIAN LI PW-PCI-420 PCI-E 4.0 X16 RISER CABLE )
Currently I'm using Corsair GPU riser cable (300mm).

And the last question is : Is 750W is enough for this gpu ? Currently i'm using 750W PSU.
In short, I have Gen 3 processor and Gen3 motherboard (But it says it has support for Gen4) so if i buy 3080 is it gonna be okay or will bottlekneck ? (I mostly play Valorant and FPS games).
Thank you .

For PCIe4 compatibility on the motherboard with the GPU, the CPU has to support it inherently as it controls everything. Your CPU does not support PCIe4. So, the answer to your initial question is, negative.

For the PSU, 750w is recommended by NVidia for 3080, but there are reports out there of even 1000w units tripping due to the now infamous Transient Spikes. So, the quality and efficiency of the PSU matters. Also, as per tests, it has also been observed that two different cards from the same brand can have two different outcomes in similar scenarios. So, nobody can tell you for sure to be honest. There are new standard PSUs coming to the market for this reason.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Shantohasibul

Honorable
Jan 23, 2017
For PCIe4 compatibility on the motherboard with the GPU, the CPU has to support it inherently as it controls everything. Your CPU does not support PCIe4. So, the answer to your initial question is, negative.

For the PSU, 750w is recommended by NVidia for 3080, but there are reports out there of even 1000w units tripping due to the now infamous Transient Spikes. So, the quality and efficiency of the PSU matters. Also, as per tests, it has also been observed that two different cards from the same brand can have two different outcomes in similar scenarios. So, nobody can tell you for sure to be honest. There are new standard PSUs coming to the market for this reason.
Thank u can u plz answer if
It is gonna bottleneck in fps games ? With 10900K and 3080 ?

You won’t loose any performance running pcie 3.0. When the 3090 launched all NVidia’s marketing numbers was based on using a pcie 3.0 setup. Your cpu is quite power hungry, a high quality 750w should work but I’d go 850w for a bit of extra comfort. I have been running Gigabyte 3080 gaming OC on a top quality 650w for nearly 2 years without issues but my CPU’s are about 100w less than yours (3700X then 5800X3D).

Hello guys,
I'm willing to upgrade my GPU to RTX 3080 (Colorful iGame). I have Asrock Z490 Taichi which is a Gen 3 Motherboard and Intel Core I9-10900K.
Asrock says that they support gen 4 features on this board.

So my question is if i buy RTX 3080 will this gpu run it with PCIe gen 4 features or with Gen3 features (Because 10900K doesnt support gen4) ?
And do I have to use PCIe gen 4 riser cable to put this card in vertical ? Or (LIAN LI PW-PCI-420 PCI-E 4.0 X16 RISER CABLE )
Currently I'm using Corsair GPU riser cable (300mm).

And the last question is : Is 750W is enough for this gpu ? Currently i'm using 750W PSU.
In short, I have Gen 3 processor and Gen3 motherboard (But it says it has support for Gen4) so if i buy 3080 is it gonna be okay or will bottlekneck ? (I mostly play Valorant and FPS games).
Thank you .
The 3080 will run at PCI-E 3.0 speeds as your CPU does not support PCI-E 4.0, however the difference in performance between the two for the 3080 is meaningless so it shouldn't factor into your purchasing decision. In short no PCI-E 3.0 will not bottleneck the 3080.

You should not need a new riser cable. In fact I used my 3080 briefly with a 300mm Corsair riser cable, it's likely the same one that you are using.

Thank u can u plz answer if
It is gonna bottleneck in fps games ? With 10900K and 3080 ?
You can achieve a CPU bottleneck with any CPU depending on the game and the graphical settings you choose. In my view upgrading the 10900K is a waste of money, it's a perfectly good pairing for a 3080.