Question Upgrading from 1080Ti to 3070/3080 or new AMD card

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018
So I am wanting to upgrade my video card from a 1080ti to one of those listed above. Would there be any issues at all? I'm a bit concerned about bottlenecks and I'm not 100% sure on what is the cause of those and how to tell. I'm not planning to upgrade within the next couple of months but want to see if there is anything I have currently that may cause an issue. Here are my current Specs (none of this is overclocked!):

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080-Ti
SSD: Samsung 970 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB
HDD: WD WD6003FZBX-00K5WB0 6TB
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB (gonna get a couple more sticks later)
MBD: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
PSU: 750 Watt Gamdias ASTRAPE M1 Gold
Monitors: AOC G2590FX 25" (1920 x 1080/144Hz)

I am not looking to go into 1440 or even 4k gaming, I mostly want to have an easier time running higher end games. I am having stuttering issues on CoD/Fortnite every now and then since the 456.55 update (have not updated since! Windows is on 1909, latest update) and no idea what caused it or how to fix it, it's manageable but at times my FPS just drops from 144 to 120 or lower randomly.

ghozt67

Commendable
Oct 23, 2018
The 1080ti is still powerful for gaming unless you plan on taking advantage of rtx and dlss. If you really want to replace your card, then I don't think you should hold back. As for thre stuttering issues, why not try removing gfx drivers using DDU then updating to the newest nvidia driver?

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018
The 1080ti is still powerful for gaming unless you plan on taking advantage of rtx and dlss. If you really want to replace your card, then I don't think you should hold back. As for thre stuttering issues, why not try removing gfx drivers using DDU then updating to the newest nvidia driver?

Not really needing/wanting to upgrade it, more worried about losing support and games needing the higher end models soon. I got the 1080ti when the 2000 series just came out, now they have been replaced already and when the 2000 game out, they dropped support pretty soon after for anything lower than the 1000s.

I'm not sure if it's just CoD and Fortnite or other games, I haven't really noticed it on any others and those ones use the Reflex crap or whatever it is, I shut that off shortly after, I have no idea if it's on with Fortnite. Need to try it a bit in a couple days and see if the FPS drop is still there or if it got fixed. CoD isn't so bad anymore but I can notice it happening every now and then.

ghozt67

Commendable
Oct 23, 2018
Not really needing/wanting to upgrade it, more worried about losing support and games needing the higher end models soon. I got the 1080ti when the 2000 series just came out, now they have been replaced already and when the 2000 game out, they dropped support pretty soon after for anything lower than the 1000s.

I'm not sure if it's just CoD and Fortnite or other games, I haven't really noticed it on any others and those ones use the Reflex crap or whatever it is, I shut that off shortly after, I have no idea if it's on with Fortnite. Need to try it a bit in a couple days and see if the FPS drop is still there or if it got fixed. CoD isn't so bad anymore but I can notice it happening every now and then.
"Losing support" is just marketing tactics. Just like recommended specs are.

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018
"Losing support" is just marketing tactics. Just like recommended specs are.

I know but I don't want to have issues with games either, so that is being taken into question as well. Hopefully this 6900 XT is on par with the 3080 like said, it's small enough it'd fit in my case and would work with my freesync monitors too.

The best time to upgrade the gpu is when you find your current gpu lacking or there is a great deal on the new card. It doesn’t sound like either apply here.

I’d also say the 3080 & 6800XT are overkill for 1080p 144Hz. My 3080 seems well suited to 1440p 144Hz. Even the 3070 & 6800 are close to overkill for 1080p 144Hz looking at the reviews.

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018
The best time to upgrade the gpu is when you find your current gpu lacking or there is a great deal on the new card. It doesn’t sound like either apply here.

I’d also say the 3080 & 6800XT are overkill for 1080p 144Hz. My 3080 seems well suited to 1440p 144Hz. Even the 3070 & 6800 are close to overkill for 1080p 144Hz looking at the reviews.

Yes, but allows me to upgrade in the future should a 240 monitor become cheaper, I am not going to pay nearly enough to get a new console for a single monitor. I also am avoiding them cuz 90% of them are curved, I prefer flat monitors. I'm not looking to pick them up right now but rather next year (if lucky) after drivers and more reviews come out for each card, so either way, overkill or not, I intend to upgrade so I don't have to worry for a while and if something should come out that wouldn't run on my 1080ti, I'm more than prepared by that point. I was going to wait for a 2080ti to come down in price but if a 3080 is cheaper and better, might as well go with it instead.

Yes, but allows me to upgrade in the future should a 240 monitor become cheaper, I am not going to pay nearly enough to get a new console for a single monitor. I also am avoiding them cuz 90% of them are curved, I prefer flat monitors. I'm not looking to pick them up right now but rather next year (if lucky) after drivers and more reviews come out for each card, so either way, overkill or not, I intend to upgrade so I don't have to worry for a while and if something should come out that wouldn't run on my 1080ti, I'm more than prepared by that point. I was going to wait for a 2080ti to come down in price but if a 3080 is cheaper and better, might as well go with it instead.
I say if you're trying to stay at 1080p, look for a 3070 or a 3060ti.
If you ever plan to go to 2k, jump for 3070 or 3080.
4k, go ahead and grab 3080.
There's new 4k monitors coming on because of the new console market, so 4k is quickly going to become more common among gamurs.

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018
I say if you're trying to stay at 1080p, look for a 3070 or a 3060ti.
If you ever plan to go to 2k, jump for 3070 or 3080.
4k, go ahead and grab 3080.
There's new 4k monitors coming on because of the new console market, so 4k is quickly going to become more common among gamurs.

I'm wanting to have something that is beyond a 2080ti or something equal in power, there isn't any point in getting something new if it's going to be weaker than previous hardware. I don't intend to use 2k or 4k anytime soon, I don't know about 2k but I know 4ks files are massive in size and I'd rather not waste time or space for something like that. I mostly want my games to run smooth rather than have the highest of all graphic detail.

Also, and no offense to anyone else who has previously replied, can anyone actually answer my real question? I'm not worried if it's "overkill" or anything like that, I am more worried on if my system will have any issues with a card like that and possible bottlenecks or anything of that line.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I am more worried on if my system will have any issues with a card like that and possible bottlenecks or anything of that line.
I see 2 issues.
1)PSU: 750 Watt Gamdias ASTRAPE M1 Gold
I couldn't find any legit reviews on that specific unit, but lands in Tier C, according to this psu list.
The high transient spikes - not to be confused with total power draw - from RTX 30 will make some mid range psus shut off.

2)Any of the recently announced RTX 30 cards combined with 1080p anything.
They just aren't a cost effective investment at that resolution.
With the changes Nvidia made to these cards' FP32 compute units, scaling is just not as good at 1080p compared to the higher ones. You end up with a card that you'll never max out through its lifetime, because 1080p offers no real work for those altered compute units to do.
Money wasted.
Plus, at 1080p, it's more about fast cpu and ram; it does not require that much gpu horsepower anymore.

Your money; you do what you want with it - don't care what anyone says, etc... but if you find that it's not performing as you expected, don't say no one told you so.
Looking around sees some RTX 30 + 1080p threads where performance 'doesn't meet expectations'.

Also:
I am having stuttering issues on CoD/Fortnite every now and then since the 456.55 update (have not updated since! Windows is on 1909, latest update) and no idea what caused it or how to fix it, it's manageable but at times my FPS just drops from 144 to 120 or lower randomly.
Might want to try and figure out what's causing this first. Change the gpu - and if it turns out it's not the gpu, you'll be back to square one with the stuttering.

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018
I see 2 issues.
1)PSU: 750 Watt Gamdias ASTRAPE M1 Gold
I couldn't find any legit reviews on that specific unit, but lands in Tier C, according to this psu list.
The high transient spikes - not to be confused with total power draw - from RTX 30 will make some mid range psus shut off.

2)Any of the recently announced RTX 30 cards combined with 1080p anything.
They just aren't a cost effective investment at that resolution.
With the changes Nvidia made to these cards' FP32 compute units, scaling is just not as good at 1080p compared to the higher ones. You end up with a card that you'll never max out through its lifetime, because 1080p offers no real work for those altered compute units to do.
Money wasted.
Plus, at 1080p, it's more about fast cpu and ram; it does not require that much gpu horsepower anymore.

Your money; you do what you want with it - don't care what anyone says, etc... but if you find that it's not performing as you expected, don't say no one told you so.
Looking around sees some RTX 30 + 1080p threads where performance 'doesn't meet expectations'.

Also:

Might want to try and figure out what's causing this first. Change the gpu - and if it turns out it's not the gpu, you'll be back to square one with the stuttering.

To be honest, I am not looking to max it out, actually. I don't really have any interest in 2k or 4k gaming. I mostly want my games and future games to run as smooth as possible. Within just this last year I went from 60 to 144hz, it's never been about maxing things out. I don't see how they wouldn't meet expectations unless they was expecting 2k or 4k on a 1080p monitor, which I am not at all, I know it's a 1080p on limit.

As for the PSU, talked it over with someone, gonna be upgrading that as well. Looking at a Corsair RMi 1000w 80+ Gold to replace my Gamdias one. Thing is, it's only happening with those two games far as I can tell. I intend to play a bit of Fortnite or CoD here in a couple hours, I was running fine until the update I posted, no issues at all. I would bounce back and forth between 130-160 on CoD MW at the settings I have now (besides turning off reflex, I have not touched a single setting since before or after the update), but now it has a random drop from 144 to 120 that I can notice. Barely if ever goes above 145, I have no idea what changed on those games besides the that reflex stuff that came in. I don't notice these issues on any other game and I play things like Doom Eternal, Raft, Elder Scrolls Online, ect. I'm going to check but I think it was that driver update.

Edit: I just tested on Doom Eternal, with mainly default settings (with vsync on and off) I had nothing below 130, would go into the 200 and near 500 FPS range, with vsync on it typically stayed around 144-145 constantly. I think it really is reflex causing my issues. The games I mentioned before (Fortnite and CoD) are one of 5 games with that support option and those are the two I am noticing it on.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@demidemon
I'm saying that you, and a number of others out there have it BACKWARDS.
For the smoothest play/highest minimum fps possible = the fastest cpu you can afford + the fastest ram you can afford.
The gpu plays second fiddle here because it contributes next to nothing to that. Fps max is what it affects the most.
Now, just throwing numbers out there, but what's the point of 300+fps if one is still seeing dips below 200? A big ol' 3080 has very little effect on the latter.

The 5 fastest out of box cpus currently?
5950X, 5900X, 10900K, 5800X, and 5600X.

Fastest ram configs?
Intel: as high as your wallet is willing to go - albeit with diminishing returns. Intel's cpus aren't as sensitive to ram timings and memory rank as Ryzen.
AMD: looks to be 3600mhz, 2x 16GB and 3200mhz, 4x 8GB.

As for the other part, it wouldn't surprise me if a driver or Windows update broke things on some users' systems... roll back drivers or use a restore point(if present), and test again.

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018
@demidemon
I'm saying that you, and a number of others out there have it BACKWARDS.
For the smoothest play/highest minimum fps possible = the fastest cpu you can afford + the fastest ram you can afford.
The gpu plays second fiddle here because it contributes next to nothing to that. Fps max is what it affects the most.
Now, just throwing numbers out there, but what's the point of 300+fps if one is still seeing dips below 200? A big ol' 3080 has very little effect on the latter.

The 5 fastest out of box cpus currently?
5950X, 5900X, 10900K, 5800X, and 5600X.

Fastest ram configs?
Intel: as high as your wallet is willing to go - albeit with diminishing returns. Intel's cpus aren't as sensitive to ram timings and memory rank as Ryzen.
AMD: looks to be 3600mhz, 2x 16GB and 3200mhz, 4x 8GB.

As for the other part, it wouldn't surprise me if a driver or Windows update broke things on some users' systems... roll back drivers or use a restore point(if present), and test again.

Yes, but it allows me to upgrade in the future, which is what I am also looking at. I've never been a person who wants to see 500 FPS on every single game just so I can brag.

I can't roll my PC back and it was fine until the last driver update, technically it needs to be updated cuz it's on 1909 still. It has to be reflex on both those games. That is the only two showing the issue and one of about 5-7 games on the list that it was introduced to. So I seem to have to wait until they fix it with a driver update or redownload the game and see if that helps as well.

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018
?
What is it referring to? The psu?

Sucks about the driver thing: being forced to wait for a hotfix/patch, to be sure it's not the culprit.

No, the monitors, my issue with even trying 2k/4k is the files it takes to download unless they are included from the start. I have very slow net currently, and also to me, I never really see much of the difference? Like I went from High to Normal textures in CoD and barely could see the difference.

Yeah, and it's irritating me. The stuttering seems to be all server side but the FPS drop had to have been that reflex crap and stuff they may have changed since the last time I really messed with settings. I may have to go through and toy with them a bit to see what I can fix.