Status
Not open for further replies.

shravankale

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Let me provide the details, I have
-Desktop with Windows 7 32bit
- Spare Windows 7(64bit)

I bought the Windows 8 Pro upgrade from my desktop. I haven't begun the installation yet since i was given a 32bit Win8Pro. I want to use Windows 8 (64-bit) on my desktop.

Do I install Windows 7(64bit) on desktop and then re-download Windows 8(64bit probably). Would i still be upgraded or am I too late?

Solution
I am not sure who is more confused here, the OP, some of the answers, or me.
First, let me tell you this, for a moment forget about 32 and 64 bit.
You can upgrade to Win 8 from Win 7, no problem.

Now, for the details, you cannot "upgrade" a 32 bit OS directly to 64 bit OS, it wont work. What will happen if you buy the "upgrade" version of Win 8 64 bit, and you have Win 7 32 bit installed, is the install for Win 8 will verify you have an OS installed, (which you do) and then it will detect that you have a 32 bit OS as well, and it will tell you that it cannot be upgraded in a sense of taking Win 7 and changing or upgrading to Win 8. It will tell you that you have to perform a new installation. It will basically wipe the disk clean, and...

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Can't upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. Here are the details from ZDNet:

32-bit versus 64-bit

I have a PC running 32-bit Windows XP Pro. It has a 64-bit processor, but after upgrading, I found the 32-bit version installed.

As you discovered, the Windows download from Microsoft matches the system from which you initiate the download. So if you purchase the download on a system running 32-bit Windows, your downloaded setup file will also be 32-bit.

But there’s an easy (and legal) way to get a 64-bit downloader, as long as you have access to a PC running any 64-bit version of Windows (including Windows 8).

After you complete the purchase, you will receive an email confirmation that includes a product key and a download link. From a 64-bit PC, click that download link and enter the product key you received. The download will commence, and when it finishes, you will have a 64-bit Windows installer that you can save as an ISO or burn to bootable media.

How do I get to 64 bit from 32 bit Windows?

There is no way to upgrade from a 32-bit copy of Windows to 64-bit, or vice versa. You must backup your data, create bootable media, and do a clean install. After you’re done, you’ll need to reinstall your programs and restore your data.

Hmmm... probably your best bet is to have someone who bought the retail version - on 7 when you bought an OEM key, it would work for both versions, but the disk only had the version you bought. (You could use the retail disks to install the right version with your OEM key.)

shravankale

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

What if I install Windows 7(64bit) on my desktop and then re-download Windows 8 from Microsoft on the same desktop. Then the upgrade is from Win7(64bit) to Win8(64bit) on the same hardware. Possible?

shravankale

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

For get the laptop, i have a spare Windows 7(64bit) lying around. I can install that on the desktop and then upgrade that to windows 8. I will let the laptop remain on Windows 7 itself

I am not sure who is more confused here, the OP, some of the answers, or me.
First, let me tell you this, for a moment forget about 32 and 64 bit.
You can upgrade to Win 8 from Win 7, no problem.

Now, for the details, you cannot "upgrade" a 32 bit OS directly to 64 bit OS, it wont work. What will happen if you buy the "upgrade" version of Win 8 64 bit, and you have Win 7 32 bit installed, is the install for Win 8 will verify you have an OS installed, (which you do) and then it will detect that you have a 32 bit OS as well, and it will tell you that it cannot be upgraded in a sense of taking Win 7 and changing or upgrading to Win 8. It will tell you that you have to perform a new installation. It will basically wipe the disk clean, and Win8 will install a new fresh 64 bit installation, with none of your old files
or programs in place, you must reinstall all them.

To see what qualifies to upgrade different versions of Windows go here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj203353.aspx

Solution

jcinalaska

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

I don't care if I lose everything. pics, music etc, I have on an ext drive. I unfortunately listened to Microsoft, and now have a 32bit windows 8 pro laptop. How do I simply go to 64 bit. I'm in a remote area of Alaska, I do not have access to other computers. Can I go 64? thx

- clean install your old 64 bit OS. (or a 64 bit windows 8 consumer preview)

- Then go here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

it is a windows 8 installer that will let you download the OS again using the key you already have.

Just start the installer under a 64 bit OS, download the files and tell it you want to burn a image. burn the 64 bit image so you have for the future. You can down load it again without having to buy another key. I assume you will have to install it to the same machine or transfer the license. Want more machines, just buy another key, you don't have to down load the OS again. You can reuse the image.

XXXX18

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Hi, I have a 32 bit Windows 7 running in a 64 bit system(i3 530). If i download the 64 bit Windows 8, will I be able to upgrade to 64 bit Windows 8 wihout backing up(that is, keeping all files, settings etc.)?

No, there is no direct upgrade path from a 32 bit to a 64 bit OS, the OS is too different in the way the kernel works. The only way is a fresh install, unfortunately.
But once it is installed, all your 32 bit programs can be re-installed and should work just fine. You can run 32 bit programs under a 64 bit OS.

wilzdezign

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
OK, so the above happened to me also. I have a x64 machine, but wanted to rebuild. I had an extra Win XP 32bit disc, got it up to SP3 and then bought the Win8Pro and used the upgrade adviser to find out it installed the 32bit edition.. doh.

So I am taking the advice from above and went to a Win7 x64 machine, run the download assistant and hope I can burn it to an ISO so I can install it on my machine. It currently is at the "Getting files ready" after the download. Anyone know where I can then just grab the Win8 data/ISO from this (as I do not want to upgrade the Windows on this other machine)?

wilzdezign

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Never mind. Right after this, it gives three options: "Install now", "Install by creating media", or "Install later from your desktop" .. so I went ahead and clicked "Install by creating media".

The next option then is via "USB Flash Drive" or "ISO file"

Status
Not open for further replies.