[SOLVED] Upgrading from i7 7700k to the best choice cpu for the money?

ccoo84

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
Hello I'm thinking about upgrading from a i7 7700k to a new processor, I have a 3090 So now I want to upgrade the CPU.. Whats the best choices for gaming mostly & content creation like Creation Kit etc? AMD or Intel, it doesn't matter thank you.
Please brand & model.

ccoo84

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
I'm located in Europe so I'm going to buy the CPU separate from the mother board so I'm not particularly worried about the price of the mother board now, I'm hoping to stay on DDR 4 since I have that already. If not then I will have to buy them over the course of a 3 month span.

Obviously, you have to decide on AMD or Intel before you buy a board.

And you have to decide on the board before you commit to a particular CPU....whether AMD or Intel.

I would NOT buy the board before the CPU. If you buy a board in March and a CPU in May, you wouldn't know until May that the board you bought 2 months earlier was dead on arrival.

I'd certainly try to decide on the specific parts before buying ANY parts. Stockpile the money for several months if necessary.

Not a major reason to move away from DDR 4 as long as the DDR 4 you have now is compatible with both future board and CPU.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
People are trying to assist you but the question is a bit difficult to answer. Buying a CPU and then waiting another 3 months to buy the motherboard is not advisable for many reasons. One being you have no way to test it as mentioned above.

The recommendation would be to buy both the cpu and motherboard together. Best bet is to save some more money and then take that option. It is not financial advice it is standard PC building advice.

A lot can change in 3 months in the tech space so the 'best' CPU now may not be in 3 months
You have soldiered on with your 7700 so a couple more months will not change anything especially as you couldn't use the new CPU anyway.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
300 or 400 for CPU.

How much for ALL parts??

You need a motherboard.

You can do pretty well for 500 total if you only need 2 pieces: CPU and motherboard.

400 total might be tolerable......150 to 200 on motherboard and 200 to 250 for CPU.
You need to replace mainboard, CPU and RAM and CPU cooler and probably case. You are not upgrading you are building a new computer.